Hot Rod Forum banner

braking and steering?

859 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  matt167 
#1 ·
i have a few questions revolving around brakes....

i have a 1966 ford truck

1. on a scale 1-10... 1 being a 5 year old could do it, 10 being you need to go to a shop for sure....How hard is it to replace the rear drums with rear disc brakes?

2. how much is it to change the braking?

3. Power steering on the scale 1-10 again how hard?

4. How much would it be?

5. Know anyplace to get the parts?

#2 ·
On a scale of 1 to 10 ... replacing the drums with discs is ... a NO BRAINER .. ;)

Kits are available ...

Power steering ... a good bit tougher ..
Most of the Trucking type magazines are loaded with advertisers ... for these things ...

Deuce ..

#3 ·
why do you want to replace the rear drums with discs, I could understand replacing the front drums as it will better the breaking efficency, as 4whl drum is 50% rear 50% front, and front disc rear drum your looking at 60% front 40% rear. the '66 truck would have a 9" rear most likely and www.scarebird.com has a kit to fit common calipers and rotors on the rear end. with power steering 90% of the later F150's have power steering, up until 1996 Ford used much the same chassie and twin I beam front suspension, what you need is the power steering box from a F100-150 up until 1979, and also the pump, and it should bolt in. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.