Hot Rod Forum banner

Which brand is it??

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cutsupreme 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I ran into some black ice the other night on my way home from work. Once I drove onto the bridge my caprice lost control. Luckily there was a large enough curb that my wheel bounced off of. If not for the curb i would've smashed my car into the wall of the bridge or even worse ended up falling on the highway. So the only real damage was done to my rim. The rim got smashed in right on the edge. I don't now how it didn't leak. So its time for a new rim...

I know they are Smoothie style wheels but Im not sure exactly what brand they are. There are a few companies that make them and they all look pretty similar. Maybe someone will be able to tell from the pics.

Also, how to I measure the width of the rim??

Thanks for the help

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
cutsupreme said:
Hey guys

I ran into some black ice the other night on my way home from work. Once I drove onto the bridge my caprice lost control. Luckily there was a large enough curb that my wheel bounced off of. If not for the curb i would've smashed my car into the wall of the bridge or even worse ended up falling on the highway. So the only real damage was done to my rim. The rim got smashed in right on the edge. I don't now how it didn't leak. So its time for a new rim...

I know they are Smoothie style wheels but Im not sure exactly what brand they are. There are a few companies that make them and they all look pretty similar. Maybe someone will be able to tell from the pics.

Also, how to I measure the width of the rim??

Thanks for the help
Probably your best bet will be to take the tire off the rim. You have to anyhow - and to check the tire for damage so this is the time. Usually the manufacturer will put a sticker on it and hopefully the guy that mounted the tires didn't peel it off. This will tell you the width as well. Often the width is stamped between lug holes as well, i.e. 15x6.5 or some such numbers.

Another thing you have to consider is back space - the distance from the inside of the rim to the lug face to rotor.

You might just have to buy 2 wheels to match - manufacturers change their suppliers as well - like from the US to Mexico and now China :pain:

Dave

#4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

I went down to the gas station this morning and had the guy take the tire off for me. He did it for nothing

Unfortunately inside the rim there was no sticker identifying it. But I measured it and figured out the width and the backspacing.

So the measurements are 15x7 with 4.25" backspacing. I looked on Summitracing at the different brands of smoothies. Due to the valve stem location and backspacing I'm pretty sure its an American racing, which of course is the most expensive (about $100). The Cragars look about the same except the valve stem location is a little different and there a bit cheaper ($62). So I'm thinkin instead of buying one American racing for $100 just buy two Cragars for a little over $120

Cragar

American Racing

And the American Racing rim wouldn't ship till 1/8/08

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.