Hot Rod Forum banner

Brand new 16 ga. bare metal coating?

948 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  alittle1 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got my new truck box for my '40 Ford and spot welded it together, now I'm ready to prime it to keep the surface rust off till I paint later this year. Anyone have a recomendation for surface prep and primer. Epoxy or acid etch? Have to do inside the stake pockets and rolled tube edge too. Spot welds are ground and ready forspot putty.

#2 ·
Buy a gallon of metal etcher/morph and wipe it on then wipe it dry. You have finished grinding and filling haven't you? Then your ready for primer. I like the epoxy primer too seal the surface before appling paint...seals the metal for a good long time from the elements...just in case you don't get to painting right away!!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

#7 ·
I was thinking of using a piece of sea sponge tied in the middle of a piece of string, dipping it in epoxy and then pulling it back and forth in the rolled tube. For the stake pocket, stapling a sea sponge to a paint stick or dowel and dipping it in epoxy and dapping the stake pocket.

What do you think the chances are of epoxy sticking on to the lower gate pins and housings? I would hate to see rust forming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.