Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Brand new looking for ideas
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 06:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiehd View Post
Im thinking what he is trying to say is it would be a shame to chop up a body such as you have there and turn it into a rat rod.
If it were me, Id paint it up nice and redo the doors as they were in 1936. Repower with a nice SBC. Hang a single wheel truck rear under it Make some rear fenders and take it from there. I was never a fan of chopping good usable bodys into ratrods.
I'm not planning on "chopping it up". The only thing I was planning on doing is chopping the roof about 3 inches which I would do regardless. Other than that I didnt have any plans to do anything to the body, it could always be painted in the future. I did realize after I posted that this is more of a finished hotrod style forum rather than a ratrod forum. But i will also say 99% of rat rods I find hideous myself. Something about Billy gibbons ratrod caught my eye. Had I found a nasty rusted truck as a base I would be all for painting it. But this truck has that awesome logo on the doors, i would hate to get rid of that.

My main reason for this post was looking for transmission suggestions, axle and rear end, stuff like that, not really to discuss aesthetics. I know for the finished vehicle I want disc brakes, manual transmission, heating and AC, etc. Just looking for advice and mistakes to avoid. Like what would be a good transmission and driveshaft/rear end to get with this truck, that matches with a Chevy 350 Sbc? Also, would a 454 fit on this truck? Im not worried about the engine covers, they can go, but would a 454 just be overkill for this truck?

Ill probably start a new post once I start tearing it down with progress pictures, but picking an engine to go with would be a good idea to do now, it's not that much of a price difference between the 454 and the 350 for a turn key engine, i would rather spend the extra money and get the 454, just wondering what problems would arise in this truck if i decided to do that.