Brand new looking for ideas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brand new looking for ideas

Hello all,

I purchased a 1936 Ford truck back in December with the hopes and dreams of turning it into a billy gibbons styled rat/hotrod. It was an old coal truck from Minnesota and has been sitting Idle since 1953. the body and paint is in very good shape and I just feel the history behind the truck is too cool to sand away and paint over. It still has the coal companies logo and 4 digit telephone number from back in the day painted on the doors.

Anyhow I also bought a 30's dodge truck bed to go on it. I work overseas and am planning on tearing it down to the frame when I get back stateside. I am also attaching another ford truck that really captures what i hope to achieve with the look and stance of the truck.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or helpful tips as I go.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3672.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	74386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3669.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	74387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3668.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	1,006.3 KB
ID:	74388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3676.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	74389   Click image for larger version

Name:	image800l-1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	74390  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 02:20 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

I love it man! I live about an hour from Mankato. Nice haul! No pun intended.

The only advice is to search through as many picks as you can to get an idea what it might look like when it's finished. It looks like you've already been doing that though.

Make a budget and try to stick to it. Too many people start a project with high hopes and find out part way through they set their hopes too high. Then it gets pushed to the wayside. Set a realistic goal. Both money and time wise. The big parts cost a lot of money but it always seems like there are a tone of little parts that add up too.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I'm very sorry to hear that you plan to turn this sweet old truck into just another piece of crap.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:00 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Kinda harsh don't you think? Why is this called the HotRodders forum?
Old 05-28-2013, 03:14 PM

Last photo:

Its not harsh I don't find, that's why I posted here, I want to get thoughts. Problem is this was the 1 ton "work" truck, so the front fenders are huge and rear fenders are non existent. I have been looking since I bought it for replacement fenders with no luck.

My question is if I were to finish the body work properly, how sacrilegious would it be to use a chevy engine? I really dont want to invest the massive amounts of money in the flathead to get such a small return in horse power, and the transmission has to go regardless as it is geared for a work truck. When i bought it i did not realize the differences between this and the standard pickup from the day. i would have bought it regardless but it was just things I hadn't thought about.

I am just curious, because there is so many options out there on how to go about this. I would love to put a SBC350 with a blower on it, and if I could find new fenders all around, fix the body and do a nice paint job. Just wondering since I am new to the whole scene what I will get flak for and what is acceptable by the majority.

How "stock" does it need to be as a "hotrod"? is there a huge distinction between hotrods and restoring old vehicles to factory conditions, as in, will the fact that it has a dodge bed and not a ford really make a difference if I decided to paint it an make it a true hotrod instead of a rat?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I'm very sorry to hear that you plan to turn this sweet old truck into just another piece of crap.
Im thinking what he is trying to say is it would be a shame to chop up a body such as you have there and turn it into a rat rod.
If it were me, Id paint it up nice and redo the doors as they were in 1936. Repower with a nice SBC. Hang a single wheel truck rear under it Make some rear fenders and take it from there. I was never a fan of chopping good usable bodys into ratrods.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

tech really only like stock restored stuff!! But go at it as you want!! Your build your cash too spend as you want!! But do not mess with the body keep the patina!!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiehd View Post
Im thinking what he is trying to say is it would be a shame to chop up a body such as you have there and turn it into a rat rod.
If it were me, Id paint it up nice and redo the doors as they were in 1936. Repower with a nice SBC. Hang a single wheel truck rear under it Make some rear fenders and take it from there. I was never a fan of chopping good usable bodys into ratrods.
I'm not planning on "chopping it up". The only thing I was planning on doing is chopping the roof about 3 inches which I would do regardless. Other than that I didnt have any plans to do anything to the body, it could always be painted in the future. I did realize after I posted that this is more of a finished hotrod style forum rather than a ratrod forum. But i will also say 99% of rat rods I find hideous myself. Something about Billy gibbons ratrod caught my eye. Had I found a nasty rusted truck as a base I would be all for painting it. But this truck has that awesome logo on the doors, i would hate to get rid of that.

My main reason for this post was looking for transmission suggestions, axle and rear end, stuff like that, not really to discuss aesthetics. I know for the finished vehicle I want disc brakes, manual transmission, heating and AC, etc. Just looking for advice and mistakes to avoid. Like what would be a good transmission and driveshaft/rear end to get with this truck, that matches with a Chevy 350 Sbc? Also, would a 454 fit on this truck? Im not worried about the engine covers, they can go, but would a 454 just be overkill for this truck?

Ill probably start a new post once I start tearing it down with progress pictures, but picking an engine to go with would be a good idea to do now, it's not that much of a price difference between the 454 and the 350 for a turn key engine, i would rather spend the extra money and get the 454, just wondering what problems would arise in this truck if i decided to do that.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:05 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I agree with tech,,and not because of chop/cut/rebuild.
If I was the o/p I'd go to a show and ask to ride in one of the rat rods,
then see if thats what you want, they ride like junk..

Rat Rod vs Lamborghini Aventador! Roadkill Episode 5 - YouTube

^^^ THIS WILL give you an idea of what it's like to live with what you want to build, good luck
Old 05-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoza View Post
The only thing I was planning on doing is chopping the roof about 3 inches which I would do regardless.
DAMNIT, that's exactly what I'm talking about. First thing you yayhoos want to do is chop the top, chop the top, chop the top, chop the top. Isn't anything sacred? Couldn't we have AT LEAST ONE nice old truck running around with a stock height top? As I've said before about chopping the top, it's monkey see, monkey do. There is absolutely nothing original about it. If you want to do something fairly original, section the body and leave the top alone.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

tech i got you here!! Check my name i think ratrod is in it!! So with that a will let loose the dogs!!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
tech i got you here!! Check my name i think ratrod is in it!! So with that a will let loose the dogs!!
Like I said, monkey see, monkey do. Nothing original about you. Same old crap.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Registered

I say do what ya want. Everything has its unfortunate qualities. I wouldnt worry about what other people think as long as your happy with it. Just curious but why a sbc? There are ford motors that are as easily accessible as a sbc...or bbc as your now interested in. There are motor options like crazy from every manufacturer from their beginning to choose from. Throw the whole drivetrain from a mercedes slr into it or two 4 cylinder drivetrains from a kia rio. Yeap im going to get a font pounding for this but idc. Im particular to side on the mod it side if you dont then its not your imagination its the designers. Everyone mods an auto in their own way whether it be a minor scent tree to a cell phone holder or all the way up to a full deconstruct..reconstruct being something that only you know what is. Its to suit your imagination let it flow....
Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

truck mods

A buddy of mine is building a 36 "Ute" roadster pickup. A company used to build a fiberglass 36 ford pickup body to fit on an older ranger chassis. He found a 36 ford 1 1/2 ton Ford farm truck, a ranger frame and went to work. He enrolled in the "Grandpa" program at UVU.. Over 65 and rates go from a grand a semester to $ 100, NO CREDIT ..He built dies for the college pulmax and made new panels to lengthen the cab 8 in. and to make the UTE pickup bodysides.. He plans on a SBC, he looked at the 302 in my ranger and decided a chevy engine would be a lot easier. In the pict he is building new rear fenders from scratch at the college shop. Check out "chris davenport aluminum 40 willys" he built as a student project at UVU. Those are the front fenders that were on the 1 1/2 ton farm truck
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	charlie 36.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	74402  

Last edited by timothale; 05-28-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

charlie's projects

Here is a pict of charlie's VW trike under construction at the UVU booth at the Salt Lake autorama. when he gets tired of working on the UTE he can form some more aluminum for the trike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sept 12 047.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	506.7 KB
ID:	74405  

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.