Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Brand of weld thru primer
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Dazed and Confused

Last journal entry: Trunk Part 18
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi guys -

Thanks for the responses. A couple of more questions that I've generated from your answers and from going down to the local shop. It seems I don't know what I think I know, at least according to the guy at the shop. I had more questions for him, but he was starting to get annoyed with my questions when he realized I wasn't going to buy anything right then and there.... This is going to be kind of a long post, so bear with me...

This is what I thought I knew.

1. Bare metal. - Spray with epoxy primer. Can use straight epoxy primer, but required an etching step prior to application, OR you can use a self etch epoxy and skip a step. Once sprayed, the metal is seal and you are done. Nothing else needs to happen. Metal protection is the same between the two types of epoxy primers.

2. IF the epoxy is sprayed on metal requiring body work (body filler) and a BC (like on body panels), the body filler is applied to the epoxied metal, and when everything is ready, the Urethane primer is sprayed so the BC/CC has something to stick to (plus the urethane is easier to work with)

Now, what the guy at the shop said, was that epoxy primer could NOT be left by itself. It had to have a Urethane primer sprayed on it which just didn't seem right to me. So, which is it? Can I leave the epoxy primer alone, or do I need to put the urethane over it as well.?

The shop had a self etch epoxy primer. The brand name was NASON which is supposedly made by DuPont. The only epoxy name I recognize is SPI. Is the Nason stuff any good or is it all pretty much the same? The straight epoxy primer (requiring the acid etch) brand name was called kwik cycle (by transtar autobody technologies). Any comments on this stuff?

My plan, was to use the epoxy primer by itelf on all the interior sheet metal that would not get any paint or bodywork. Internior metal (truck, rear trunk shelf, etc) which would get paint would get the epoxy, urethane and then the correct paint color for the car. I'm looking to you guys to straighten me out (like a bent piece of sheet metal ).

Its hard to ask questions, when you don't know the questions to ask. Thanks as always for the help!!

Joe