Brazing with Propane Torch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 PM
quadrajunk a name earned

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brazing with Propane Torch

Will a cheap propane torch produce enough heat to braze with 1/8" brazing rod? Or put another way will the cheap propane torch melt the 1/8" brazing rod or would I need a hotter torch?

My core support has some 1/16" thick sheet metal that needs to be repaired and I am hoping brazing will take care of it. Same goes for inner wheel wells.

BT

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

silver solder ?

I think Silver solder would work. expensive compared, but lower temp and not as strong as brazing but should work. I think mapp gas burns hotter but is harder to find,
Old 12-09-2010, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

A simple propane/air torch will not be hot enough to braze with a bronze brazing rod unless you are talking about an Oxy/propane rig, I am assuming you have the common small propane bottle with a torch head screwed onto it? Silver solder may be an option, as already mentioned, or maybe you could find another torch, preferably Oxy/Acetylene?

I may be wrong but I am almost sure Mapp gas is out of production now and is no longer available. There are a couple of other gases available as a hotter replacement for propane for the propane/air torches but unfortunately none are hot enough to braze with bronze brazing rod.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

It takes about 850*F to melt brazing rod. I tried it once with my propane torch and while the rod got soft, it wouldn't get fluid enough to flow.

Dave W
Old 12-09-2010, 06:28 PM
quadrajunk a name earned

Last photo:

MAPP gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
I may be wrong but I am almost sure Mapp gas is out of production now and is no longer available.
This is the first that I have heard MAPP gas is no longer available? I just left Home Depot and they have MAPP gas & MAPP torches in stock.

BT
Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 PM
58/58

Last photo:

Mapp is ez to find. will melt rod, BUT don't plain on brazing anything bigger than a nickel, it works for small things. Oxy is getting so dam expensive............
Old 12-10-2010, 07:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
I may be wrong but I am almost sure Mapp gas is out of production now and is no longer available. There are a couple of other gases available as a hotter replacement for propane for the propane/air torches but unfortunately none are hot enough to braze with bronze brazing rod.
I remember reading something about this on this site, IIRC they are still going to make a version of MAPP gas in the little bottles but you can't get it in large scale anymore. That was my understanding of it but I could be way off.

The following is from a different post.Looking for some advice on cutting torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
Hi,
Well looks like MAPP gas may not be available any longer. That's all we used at the shipyard, there was no Acetylene
available there at all. Back in 78-9 a couple of us went into partnership in a salvage yard, we used propane to cut the cars up because it was so much cheaper & the bottle was at least twice as large as the Acetylene tank, but I guess that's not the case any longer.
Rich
MAPP was until recently widely used, supplied in small to medium size containers & in bulk.
On 31 April 2008 the Petromont Varennes plant closed its methylacetylene/propadiene plant. As they were the only North American plant making MAPP gas, indeed the only legal supplier of trademarked MAPP gas in the world, this caused a wide scale shortage, and many substitutes were introduced by the companies who had repackaged the Dow and Varennes product(s) - most of these substitutes are propylene, like MAP//Pro [1] from BernzOmatic, some are mixtures with higher hydrocarbons or with other ingredients like acetone. Many of these work just about acceptably in gas/air torches, but none work as well as MAPP in gas/oxygen torches.

About Acetylene http://www.msha.gov/alerts/hazardsofacetylene.htm
http://www.toolboxtopics.com/Gen%20I...lene%20Gas.htm
Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

yea, Mapp ( or some version of ) is readilly available in small bottles.. a benzomatic Mapp/ oxy torch will braze, but they use lots of oxygen,
Old 12-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

Since I am no longer in the business I am not as up to date on such things as I once was and my comment was based on reading this in a couple of other different places and from one of the guys at the local welding supply, but then like I said I could be wrong and he was not sure either. The subject came up at the welding supply when a comment about the horrible smell of MAPP was made (that stuff stinks! ) and the guy behind the counter said "well you don't have to worry about that anymore" and then told us he had heard it was out of production. May be, or not, and if true the bottles still on the shelves may be all that is left. I would imagine that if production of MAPP has ceased the small bottles could be on the shelves for some time yet, the stuff never did catch on real well but it is hotter in those little fuel/air torches and is a good safer alternative to Acetylene.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

Since I thought I might have been giving some bad info I thought I would check around a bit but there is not much to be found on the subject, just a few discussion links such as this.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=85050

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921249

I first heard of this a couple of years ago and it has been quite some time since the discussion about it at the gas supplier, since the small bottles seem to still be available there may be another source for it.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

not sure what kind of car you have but....a new rad support costs about 150.00 used 50.00 and a inner well is 25-50.00 I wouldnt waste my time repairing any of it ,just run down to the local u pull it and grab what you need and be done with it...
Brazing with those little home depot tanks is about the most expensive way to weld anything and you'll waste at least two to three tanks just figuring out how to get the brass to stick. then three more welding three inches....a mini mig would be much better and handier.and a lot easier to learn...
Old 12-16-2010, 07:51 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
yea, Mapp ( or some version of ) is readilly available in small bottles.. a benzomatic Mapp/ oxy torch will braze, but they use lots of oxygen,
i have one of these and i cant get it to work very well
the couple of times i got it adj. it made a nice tight, hot flame.
i got it used from the father in-law when he passed away
it may be broken, i just kinda gave up on it and threw it under the bench
Old 12-16-2010, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

MAPP/Oxygen can be used to braze with bronze brazing rod and it works quite well, it actually would be hot enough to weld with but the flame chemistry is all wrong and it will not work at all for that.

BTW, since this thread came up I checked at the local Lowes and there are no bottles of MAPP on the shelves there anymore, they had it when they first opened a couple of years ago.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

i was at the lumber yard yesterday and they had a full shelf of mapp gas.
i keep thinking i should buy some, but i keep seeing it around.
but, i bet one day ill go to get some and there will be- none.

when i first got that little torch i had a hard time finding the oxy.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Last photo:

I could not say with any certainty if MAPP will fade away completely or not, seems like any info that turns up saying it is out of production appears to be at least a couple of years old yet it is still available in some places, old stock maybe?

If I understand right the reason for it's demise was that one of the components used to make it was in such high demand in the plastics industry that the cost to make MAPP made it uncompetitive in the gas market, it never was a really good seller anyway. AFAIK the only plant where the stuff was produced shut down about three years ago and that was supposed to be the end of MAPP but perhaps some other outfit is producing it in smaller quantities? Maybe there was a substantial amount left in stock at the plant when it shut down and that will supply the hobby type torch market for years?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.