Hot Rod Forum banner

"Break in oil"?

4K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
So I am running Comp Cams break in oil which is high in zinc in my new motor. I have about 350 miles on it and want to keep this Zinc rich oil in it, maybe with every oil change forever. But do I have to pay the $8 a quart for the Edelbrock or Comp cams stuff?

From what I understand Valvoline "Racing oil" is high in Zinc and so is "Delo" which is for diesels. But though the Comp cams and Edelbrock oils are damn proud of this Zinc and display it over the front of the container not a word is spoken of Zinc on the Valvoline or Delo, any one know if they actually do have Zinc in them?

Brian

#2 ·
Brian, you can run any oil you like, of any brand, and use a ZDDP additive. I would do a bit of research, but the one I used to use exclusively was AC Delco EOS. They used to send a bottle with every long block I ordered, so I read up on it, and began using it in all my flat tappet engines. The P/N is 992869, list price up here in Canada is $9.69/bottle Canadian. 1 bottle per oil change works well, and allows you to use whatever oil brand and viscosity floats your boat.

#4 ·
Most diesel oils are high in zinc. I know Rotella changed their formula but I believe it still has zinc in it. I thought the GM eos was discontinued but I could be wrong. This was good stuff at a reasonable price.

#6 ·
I'v thought about small engine oils. most of them are flat tappet engines, and all but the Kohler Command is solid lifter. These oils would almost have to have high zinc contents and are not API rated... Granted some of it is expensive, but it's all synthetic or synthetic blend

#7 ·
I think the biggest problem was the ever growing myth that the "diesel oils" had ELIMINATED the zinc/phos content of the newer formula. When in fact they just decreased it from around 1200 ppm to 800 or so. Still plenty of good stuff but it wouldn't hurt a bit to add a 4 oz. bottle of EOS or ZDDP+....Brad Penn and Joe Gibbs, along with Valvoline racing oil are still very good alternatives, although a few more bucks per quart.

#11 ·
starnest said:
Is there a real advantage to continue using the high zinc oil (or additive) after a proper break-in?

Not losing a cam is one advantage.

NO commercially available oil that is made for on highway use has the proper amount of ZDDP. Valvoline RACING oil does, but it is a little more expensive. There are a LOT of manufacturers that produce an additive that usually sells for around $10 a bottle (enough for 1 oil change) that can be added to regular oils to get you what you're after though. If you want a easy recipe for an oil change that you can buy anywhere:

1 Napa Gold filter
3 quarts of Mobil 1
2-3 quarts of Royal Purple HPS
1 bottle of cam additive (Oil Extreeme works great)

It'll set you back about $45 an oil change (if you do it yourself) but it'll GREATLY reduce the wear on your engine, its only worth using if you plan on going for the half a million mile mark, otherwise Valvoline synthetic with cam additive and a Wix filter works very well.

#12 ·
Lucas makes a ZDDP additive that seems to work fine in my flat tappet engine. I buy it at the local NAPA store for $8 a pop. I run it all the time with Valvoline Racing 10W30, which has zinc and phosphorus also. If you have ever burnt a cam up during break in, you will do whatever it takes to not let that happen again. It's not just a simple cam change, it's a complete tear down and usually new bearings including cam bearings.

So do whatever makes you comfortable, but add something or run the Brad Penn, etc. Rotella 15W40 + Lucas ZDDP is reasonably cost effective.

#14 ·
I think all current SM and the newest SN auto oils contain 800 ppm but that's less than the previous 1200 and 1500 levels. Specialty oils like Amsoil, Brad Pen, Royal Purple, etc have higher levels.
Go the Corvetteforum.com and go to the C3 section. In the Technical section at the top of the first screen, there is a link to various posts by Billa that have all the latest info about Zn and Ph levels.
Terry

#19 ·
If you were really worried about it any four stroke motor cycle oil should have more additives that any comparable automotive oil, there is no other engine application with sliding contact high pressure wear surfaces...and turns over 9000 rpm.

You can argue actual levels of individual additives but like everything in life I think its the recipe that matters more. Its readily available everywhere and often goes on sale in the winter and comes in both synthetic and regular blends.

Sounds like a perfect match to me.

#20 ·
Thanks Matt, that is just what I needed! I first ran the Comp Cams breaking in it and will use it again, that makes me feel good.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.