Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - breaking in my 357...
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Do you feel like we do?

Wiki Edits: 0

breaking in my 357...

i got my new 357 started finally.. the large wire on the started was loose.. apparently i hadnt tightened it all the way. so i got it started and proceded to idle the engine around 1500rpm to start the cam break in process for 30 min. the engine has a compression of anywhere from 9.5-9.8, i run an XE268 cam, melling high volume low pressure pump, edelbrock air gap rpm, edelbrock 600cfm. the engine seemed to climb to 180deg very quick and the radiator is hotter than its ever been... scolding to the touch. initially oil pressure was 60lbs which i assume is optimal then dropped around the 50-55lbs range. is an engine suppose to get overly hot during break in period? its seems to me the engine temp would have kept climbing since it reached that temp so fast... so i killed the engine. i use a 160 thermo and a summit aluminum 2-core (4 core capacity ) radiator. any thoughts on this? it just had me worried.. i really have no idea.