Breather/PCV catch can setup questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 PM
AK427

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Breather/PCV catch can setup questions

Right now, I've got the usual valve covers with grommets and a breather on one side and PCV valve on the other. I'd like to convert over to sealed valve covers (no holes) and weld an AN bung in each valve cover, which I'd then route to a catch/breather can. I'd like to do this not because it's a race motor with lots of blowby, but because it looks cool IMO

Is the above plan OK? Can I share a single (dual inlet) catch can with both valve covers? Presumably, there's no PCV as such when you run a catch can, as the cans vent to atmosphere? If I wanted a separate PCV and breather, would I need to run 2 separate catch cans (1 sealed, which recirculates into the intake via the carb and the other catch can with a breather that vents to atmosphere)? Which is the best configuration?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 05:35 PM
AK427

Last photo:

Anyone got any input on this?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:26 AM

Last photo:

You could run 1 Line from Valve Cover connected to the Carb Breather so it gets filter air.
1 Line from other Valve Cover/PCV to Catch Can to atmosphere or back to Intake or bottom of Carb.
I had a link for a Homemade Catch Can but, it doesn't work anymore. Back to Google.
Here's one>> http://www.condensator.com/

Several ideas here> http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...A&ved=0CGEQsAQ
An old A/C Drier could be used to Fab one up.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:21 PM

Last photo:

I run a system similar to what you are wanting to do on my 82 Z-28 with a 406. I run two breathers that are actually oval billet style from Summit Racing. I took the bottom plate out and sealed the holes up that were in the bottom for the breather to vent. Then I drilled a 1/2" hole and tapped it with an NPT pipe tap to thread in some an fittings along with some 1/2" push lock hose that goes to one catch breather can that I mount to my radiator support with the same 1/2" an fittings to connect it all. There is a breather that is connected to the top of the breather can for venting. I have no mess on my valve covers anymore. The breather can has a drain valve on the bottom for emptying out. I run no pcv and have had no issues since I only drive this during the summer season and put no more than 1000-1300 miles on the car during the season.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 PM
AK427

Last photo:

Thanks guys, keep it coming.

cc82z-28... have you got any pics of your set-up?

Pics would be great if anyone has them.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

I have the car somewhat torn apart getting ready for the season but I will try to get some pics when I get it back together so you can see what I have. It works great for me and it was not too bad, cost wise, to build it. I bought the breather can from a tuner shop because it was a unit that was the size I was looking for since my engine compartment doesn't have alot of room. I believe the breather can was something like 40.00 shipped from overseas. Everything else came from Summit Racing.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Check out these Corvette pics at Hot Rod, the guy is running two remote "puke" tanks from the valve covers.
Also check out the attachment, from May Hot Rod, one "puke" tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve_Cover_Breather_Setup.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	626.3 KB
ID:	53781  
Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Here's the updated pics of the setup I am using on my car for v8hed. I really like this since it has the drain **** in the bottom that I can slip a rubber hose onto and run below to empty if need be. I used Summits breather, twist-tite hose in size -8 with their twist-tite fittings. I drilled the breather tank for 1/2" npt fittings with -8 male ends then connected the -8 female connectors and hose to that. Hope this helps you out in decision.
Chet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breather Pics 004 (Medium).jpg
Views:	263
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	53905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breather Pics 005 (Medium).jpg
Views:	258
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	53906  
Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 PM
AK427

Last photo:

Thanks Chet... looks good

I think I'll probably run something similar, but may use 2 separate tanks... one for PCV, which will vent into the PCV port on the carb and one tank for the breather on the other valve cover... that tank will vent to atmosphere. Then again, if the valve cover for the breather is baffled, it shouldn't need a tank as it shouldn't draw any significant oil, so maybe a regular push-in breather would work OK and I can just use a catch can for the PCV.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

I tried the pcv in my valve covers with a breather in the oposite cover, I just didn't like the contaminated vapors burning into my carb and I really didn't like the vapors and film on the cover from the breather. I never thought of tieing the pcv into a tank first then to the carb. I like the way this setup has worked for me and I did consider two tanks, but room is at a premium so I needed to make this work as efficiently as possible. I know when I drive my car, I like to hammer it through gears whenever I can as my friends can would say. I do enjoy the drive...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.