Breathing Life Into British Iron... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 08:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Breathing Life Into British Iron...

Found this web site today (July 27th) while Googling around for information on etch versus epoxy primers. I retired in March 2005 and expect to be working on old British iron – in this case, it’s a 1972 MG Midget sourced from the West Coast via eBay. I completed a similar project cara (1974 Midget) back in the early 1980’s but apparently did not learn my life lesson, so here we go again. This time around I have more time and less money so I have to plan and research my restoration strategy carefully.

The last project was B.I. (before Internet) which made getting a lot of the Bits & Pieces from England a little tricky but the dollar was strong. However, the current dollar to pound exchange rate is going against me this time but the Internet helps me to connect with people and places who have new / used parts so it should be much easier to find what I want. Also I expect easy access to cheap tools complements of Harbor Freight and millions of low wage Chinese peasants – but I expect to benefit from improved paint technology and materials that can produce better results but with much greater risk to the brain cells from the isocyanates in the product. Like they say: live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse…

I expect to be lurking around the forums, then get into the archives to see what has been going on with body exterior topics, etc.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or insight on future prep / primer / paint topics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mikes_midget.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	6065  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 12:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Welcome to the site. There's a lot of paint experts here, ask away. Dan
Old 07-28-2005, 03:13 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Hi there, are you going to V8 it http://www.motorbase.com/vehicle/by-id/261969084/ ?
Old 07-29-2005, 06:24 AM

Last photo:

Fewer cylinders = More Fun

My plan is to keep it stock except for some minor performance mods such as uprated suspension bushings, a front anti-roll bar which was an option back then but has since been sourced from eBay. Replace stock manifold with header set-up and better tires. The focus now is on disassembling doors, hood, trunk & fenders to prep for paint and/or rust control. My MIG is now plugged into the garage outlet and the panel repair has begun. This time around I will take my time and do it right. My end date for 2005 is October 15th so I have to decide how far to go before the snow flies up this way. I would like to get some "road time" in so I might reassemble it and get set up for the final paint prep during Spring 2006. Unfortunately, my wife is making noises about getting a part-time job so this could seriously cut into my hobby time. We will see what happens...I picked up a quart of some thing labeled as "Miracle Paint" which is rust attacking base coat and I will have the inside of the doors and both fenders done by next week. Anyone out there have any suggestions for rust control products that can be topcoated???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Hello all | intro »