Bridgeport Mill - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 05:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Bridgeport Mill

I.just came across a Bridgeport Mill and a couple of Atlas lathes. All I know about the mill is that my dad once told me that it was a good one, built in the US. The serial no. is J67220 Does this mean anything to any of you.
I also will need tooling, are there any machinist out there from the Cin. Dayton or Columbus area that can give me some advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 08:37 PM

I have a 9" x 42" bed series 2 (variable speed) bridgeport. I don't know the serial # on mine so I can't help you there. check the ways on it , if it still has the scroll marks on them and the lead screws are not sloppy loose it's should be a good machine. I have a lot of tooling for mine, bought it a little at a time because of the expense. A good quality drill chuck is a must, and a good set of R-8 collets should get you going. I use a Kurt angle lock vise but cheaper ones are out there now. I buy my drills, taps and end mills from a local industrial supplier. I've been using one for 25 + years and I learned a long time ago, don't buy cheap tooling. I've been using the same drill chuck for that long, but don't let anyone else use it either. Buy it if the price is right, I use mine almost every day .
Old 04-12-2010, 05:53 AM

Last photo:

Tooling www.ENCO.com

Atlas is old stuff. Replacement parts can be a challange. Bridgeports were a dime a dozen. During the manufacturers mass exit of Michigan (USA for that matter). I saw dozens of decent Bridgeports loaded into dumpsters for scrap weight..

A friend of mine bought an entire tool room of a GM factory for $600.00. Included two Bridgeports, several lathes, surface grinders, Sunnen hones. welders and some great tooling. A forty ft. trailer of tooling, nuts bolts etc.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 AM

My dad retired from Chrysler here in Dayton, when he left he said the gate guard stopped him to make sure his truck was full.
With all the shops going out of business around here I hope to be able to find some deals. I don't have anything in this stuff, I just have to get it out of an old garage before the local crack heads steal any more, lucky for me they don't like to steal anything that has to do with work.
I've found alot of things that I don't know what they are,so I welcome all the advice I can get.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

one thing to point out if the Bridgeport you are looking at is like mine you will need a 3 phase convertor to power it.

Also as stated check the slop in the ways and table (the more slop the the bigger pita it can be, if it has DRO then some slop is ok)

Also it really depends on what your trying to do with the machine as to what you will need and how tight and nice it needs to be,(if you are doing precision work with tight tolerences it needs to be in tip top shape, if its just for a slot here and there and items with loose tolerances then some wear will be ok)

Myself Im a Journeyman Toolmaker and rebuilt mine, the older machinery can last for YEARS more like DECADES, as my Roach and Co lathe and my Brainard Horizontal have proven to me (lathe is circa 1906 and the horizontal is from 1898 both old over head belt drive units converted to electric)

Most of my home machineshop was aquirred for $800 (I lucked into a family that was cleaning out their fathers old machine shop that had ran from the 40's till the early 70's and they just wanted the stuff GONE so they could clean out the building and sell it)

Try watching for estate auctions where they are advertising machinist tools and equipment, you can get alot of old but well made tooling, tools, vices and equipment this way on the cheap, you can usually find them in the feebie fliers you find at most convienance stores
Old 01-14-2011, 08:21 PM

another idea

How about cutting some square holes with your Bridgeport? These rotary broaching tools should work on your machine.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:39 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattVette
one thing to point out if the Bridgeport you are looking at is like mine you will need a 3 phase convertor to power it.

Also as stated check the slop in the ways and table (the more slop the the bigger pita it can be, if it has DRO then some slop is ok)

Also it really depends on what your trying to do with the machine as to what you will need and how tight and nice it needs to be,(if you are doing precision work with tight tolerences it needs to be in tip top shape, if its just for a slot here and there and items with loose tolerances then some wear will be ok)

Myself Im a Journeyman Toolmaker and rebuilt mine, the older machinery can last for YEARS more like DECADES, as my Roach and Co lathe and my Brainard Horizontal have proven to me (lathe is circa 1906 and the horizontal is from 1898 both old over head belt drive units converted to electric)

Most of my home machineshop was aquirred for $800 (I lucked into a family that was cleaning out their fathers old machine shop that had ran from the 40's till the early 70's and they just wanted the stuff GONE so they could clean out the building and sell it)

Try watching for estate auctions where they are advertising machinist tools and equipment, you can get alot of old but well made tooling, tools, vices and equipment this way on the cheap, you can usually find them in the feebie fliers you find at most convienance stores
Excellent point! The reason a lot of this old machinery is cheap is the 3 ph. power required to run it. Not everyone considers the cost of a phase converter when they buy them.
I installed a large phase converter that feeds a 3ph. panel in my friend's shop so he could use the cheap used 3 ph. equipment. You don't need a converter larger than your largest piece, unless you plan to run more than one at a time.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.