briggs stratton help, - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 02:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

briggs stratton help,

well,i picked up a free like 2 or 3hp briggs the other day,took off the governor(im not a ntucase when riding on mini bikes,so i dont over rev).

well it started right up and is a nice engine inside.

i was wondering if there is any possible way i can do soemthin with the top end to boost compression for like free or really cheap.any suggestions?

i also want the thing to be dependable to haul me around the block a lot.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 05:03 AM
Knows everything about nothing

Last journal entry: Ever forward
Last photo:

1. Take off the head
2. Get something REALLY flat, most people use a pane of glass, lay some sandpaper on it and "shave" the head. Use a figure 8 pattern, and every 5 five figure 8's or so, rotate the head 90*. You want to use at least 3 grades of sandpaper. Start with coarse and move your way up to about 220 grit. Be careful not to remove too much!!! It's really easy to do. You're only looking to remove 10 to 20 thou.

3. Put the head back on, using a DECENT used head gasket, torque the head down. Using some solder, about 1/8" dia, fish it into the spark plug hole (this may take a few times for the rookie) and get the end on top of one of the valves. Turn the engine over by hand so the valve will squish the solder. Take the solder out an measure the thickness. You want to be in the range of NO LESS than .01". Do that for both valves. I wanna say that the exahust will not squish it as much as the intake, but it's been a while. Either way, one I'm sure will squish it more than the other, so take that into account. You will also want to do that with the piston, as it gets pretty close to the head too!

4. Porting is possible on them little guys too. If you want, I can dig through my piles of stuff and find the 8 horse I ported, and snap some pics.

Be careful with the removing of the governor, it serves more purpose than you think. And those 3 horses can rev pretty darn high! It dosen't feel good when chunks of aluminum smack your legs.

If you can find them (like I said, it's been a while) find some offset keys for the flywheel, that way you can advance the timing.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

briggs stratton help,

For offset flywheel key's see "www.aps.com"..............and on the porting leave the intake bowl in the block alone ...it is already too big.You can make your own head gasket from copper or aluminum allthough alum doesn't last very long (2,3 races).But what ever you do do as Diabolicboy says on checking piston to head and valve to head ,a bent valve can and will destory the block.
Have Fun!!

Kenny
Won't get fooled again.
Pete Townsend
The Who
Old 09-05-2008, 07:58 PM

Last journal entry: Project garage complete!
Last photo:

Sustained RPM'S over 3600 will be very hard on your connecting rod!!!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

it's easy to adjust the governer on a B&S but I would never ever remove it... even the racers ither use tweaked governers, or run rev limiters
Old 09-06-2008, 01:10 AM
MOPAR Guy

Last journal entry: Restoration of my Chrysler
Last photo:

I've played with these little engines too, and have found that on average they're under carbureted. When I was about 11 my friend and I were working on his go-kart (a lawn tractor) and put a motorcycle carb on it. Helped quite a bit. Gave it a good bit more kick-in-the-pants, especially at the top end. I'm sure we revved it past 4000... I'm glad it didn't let go on us!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

briggs stratton help,

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel
Sustained RPM'S over 3600 will be very hard on your connecting rod!!!!!
Pic says it all, this one was on test stand,quite spectacular when you are less than two feet away!!! Had a kart tell tell tach it said 4300 RPM,stock rods will not last long above 3600!!!!

The pic of the mini bike is one I built out of free parts to run as a gopher in the pits in my Sprint car days. I keep it hanging on the wall to keep my grand kids off of it.............as it has no brakes!!!! I just use to drag my feet to stop it, not a problem in the pits but out in the open it will do 45 MPH. Not easy to stop!!!
Good Luck

Kenny

Lost your job yet?
Keep buying foreign.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jy28-002-2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	32297   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0833-1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	32298  
Old 09-06-2008, 03:16 PM

mini bike

Pretty funny, a sprint car wing on a mini bike, even if it's not mounted over your head.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You could always turbo charge it like this guy did to his lawn mower, but I have a feeling it wouldn't last long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAGz4i2_Iuk
Old 09-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior stocker
Pretty funny, a sprint car wing on a mini bike, even if it's not mounted over your head.
The "wing" was originally to go on a mail box for a Sprint driver and he never used it so I put it on the bike to help keep mud off the motor .....and me! I use to repair sprint wings in my spare time for extra cash and the wing was made from the scrap from one.Had a alot of fun with that little bike ,if I tryed to ride it now it would most likely make me bed ridden for a week.
Later

Kenny

Lost your job yet?
Keep buying foreign.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

The main problem with revving these motors is the stamped steel oil dipper and the stock connecting rod. If the rod doesn't come apart first, the dipper will fatigue and break off where it bolts to the big end of the rod. After that, it doesn't take long to frag the motor.

There are aftermarket rods available that have the dipper cast into the rod as a one-piece arrangement. That's what we used to use when racing karts and buzzed the motor to 6000-6500 r's on alcohol with the stock, but re-jetted carb.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

briggs stratton help

The main problem with revving these motors is the stamped steel oil dipper and the stock connecting rod. If the rod doesn't come apart first, the dipper will fatigue and break off where it bolts to the big end of the rod. After that, it doesn't take long to frag the motor.

This is exactly what happened to the motor in my pics and it does not take long to do once the dipper is gone.

Kenny

Lost your job yet?
Keep buying foreign.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

Exhaust port got an internal pipe thread? One of the neighborhood kids had an old one with a rusted-out muffler, so he used a reducer and hung a chunk of 3/4" iron pipe about a foot long on it for an exhaust system. It was loud, to say the least.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

3hp should use an internal pipe thread.. normally 1/2" NPT.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

When I was running JR fuel dragster back in the old days. My Sears B&S got a serious load of left over nitro. You know the senario....we go racing on Sat and Sun and forget the grass needs cutting. Well It got out of hand and the mower just wasn't up to the task....not with gass. haha

After a bit of playing with the carb and starting it on gass then opening the valve for the nitro it ran. Oh did it run. haha. I had already made a mega phone exhaust so it was pretty loud.

It survived about 3-4 cuttings before expiring with a huge BANG just like the yellow one in the picture. I actually patched the hole in the crankcase and made an aluminum rod out of 7075 in the shop. This one lasted a couple more cuttings untill the crank broke and really messed the motor up .. haha It was actually fun to cut the grass with this one. haha

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.