Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Bringing the power steering pulley up one groove. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/bringing-power-steering-pulley-up-one-groove-223785.html)

0trbo4myCHEVUICK 09-07-2012 12:24 PM

Bringing the power steering pulley up one groove.

I only have two belts on my motor. One going from crank pulley, to fan/WP and alt. One going from crank to power steering.

I feel like this is bad for my water pump since i have only 1 belt making contact, I would like to move the power steering pump up one groove.

One belt going from the crank to WP/Fan to alt and one belt going from crank to WP/fan to power steering is my idea here. Can i just place spacers in between the PS bracket and the block? It needs to come out alittle over 1/2".

joe_padavano 09-07-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0trbo4myCHEVUICK (Post 1589021)
I only have two belts on my motor. One going from crank pulley, to fan/WP and alt. One going from crank to power steering.

I feel like this is bad for my water pump since i have only 1 belt making contact, I would like to move the power steering pump up one groove.

One belt going from the crank to WP/Fan to alt and one belt going from crank to WP/fan to power steering is my idea here. Can i just place spacers in between the PS bracket and the block? It needs to come out alittle over 1/2".

Why are you worried about this? Millions of cars have been built without power steering and with only one belt on the water pump. Don't waste your time.

If you're worried about a side load on the water pump bearing, don't. Unless the two belts pull in EXACTLY opposite directions (with they will not), there is ALWAYS a side load on the water pump bearing.

0trbo4myCHEVUICK 09-08-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano (Post 1589063)
Why are you worried about this? Millions of cars have been built without power steering and with only one belt on the water pump. Don't waste your time.

If you're worried about a side load on the water pump bearing, don't. Unless the two belts pull in EXACTLY opposite directions (with they will not), there is ALWAYS a side load on the water pump bearing.

Alright well... okay... I would def. rather not worry about it if i dont have to. I just measured and there is 2" of belt making contact on the pulley, as long as thats okay..

2old2fast 09-08-2012 11:19 AM

Up until serpentine belt systems came to be , probably 95% of cars had belt setups that only contacted maybe 1/4 or less of the pulley O.D. , works just fine ! Just don't overtighten your belt!!

dave

0trbo4myCHEVUICK 09-08-2012 11:36 AM

okay, cool. thanks!

75gmck25 09-11-2012 04:16 AM

My '75 SBC with HD cooling had the type of pulleys you are looking for. The water pump has a two groove pulley, and with HD cooling the PS belt goes over both the crankshaft and the water pump. When I look up the parts number for a PS belt there are two options, a short and a long belt. Both will work, but only the long one routes around the water pump.

I am running the long PS belt because it keeps the water pump running even if I break the alternator belt. I've had the alternator belt break once on the highway when I was running the short PS belt and it only took about five seconds for the water temp to get into the red once the water pump and fan stopped turning.

Bruce

joe_padavano 09-11-2012 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75gmck25 (Post 1589741)
I am running the long PS belt because it keeps the water pump running even if I break the alternator belt. I've had the alternator belt break once on the highway when I was running the short PS belt and it only took about five seconds for the water temp to get into the red once the water pump and fan stopped turning.

Bruce

Or....

Just carry an extra belt.