Hot Rod Forum banner

"Britains Fastest Van"

27K views 73 replies 16 participants last post by  5 CWT 
#1 ·
------------------------------"BUILDING BRITAIN"S FASTEST VAN"-------------------

Three years ago I decided that a quick van for the street was the way to go and had the idea of building a moggy van with the rover v8 etc until I saw Dave Sidaways Fordson van on youtube,after seeing the van in all its glory there was no turning back,building and owning something that resembles Daves van for the street is my ultimate goal.

After three years of searching one was eventually found in cambridge as steel ones arent exactly rollin out of showrooms these days! I have built a bespoke 80x40 box chassis and she"s going to have a tuned ford 289 V8 (350bhp) C4 auto box along with a very narrow 41-1/2" jag rear with 3.54 powerlock diff and narrowed triumph GT6 front.

I will be building the rod with economy but also safety in mind and most parts will be hand built by myself inc engine/box - chassis - front and rear suspension - fuel tanks etc.

Im looking for it to handle well and am placing the engine as far back and as low as possible but without the sump or transmission protruding below the chassis line which iv"e set at seven inch front to back. Pics to follow!

See less See more
#53 ·
I like the muff,s nice job,, I have a zoomie plate,, its so you can open the zoomies or shut it to exit through mufflers,, made by miller motorsports, in Cal.
are your rear doors aluminum? look to be steel,, :confused: Mine had a perfect set of Aluminum doors , but I really didn't like the looks, so I intended to make my own,, but insted , like a fool I sold them, and ended up having to buy glass ones,, the only fiberglass on the car,, but they are a very nice pair,, made by Pro Laminates over in your part of the world,, keep up the nice work,, youre making great progress,, wish I could say the same about mine,, got way too many irons in the fire,,

Attachments

#65 ·
Little British cars with American V8's are cool! I like what you've done with the Thames, and it looks like it's gonna be a great ride!
I built an old '46 Austin sedan myself, and powered it with a 327 Chevy. Done in the 60's gasser style on mine.

Here's a shot of mine, and my buddy's '52 Austin PU truck.

#72 ·
Specs

Spec - 1954 Thames 5 cwt van Weight 900 kgs 372 bhp minimum estimation Power to weight ratio 412 bhp per tonne Hand built 80x40x3mm chassis Ford small block bored + 30 Kieth black 10.5.1 hypereutic pistons Block decked and honed Edelbrock aluminium rpm heads 2" inlets shaved 20 thou hand ported Edlelbrock rpm cam Roller rockers 1 1/2 headers 2 1/4 pipes Dual 4" cherry bombs Edelbrock rpm inlet manifold hand port matched to cyl heads 600 holley carb mixed bank jetting Champion medium hot range spark plugs Sure fire leads Points distributor vacuum assisted Gilmer tooth belt drive water pump/alternator C4 auto box with shift kit Jaguar xjs powerlock diff 2.89.1 ratio narrowed to 43 inch Triumph GT6 front suspension modified 335/35/17 lamborghini diablo rear wheels/tyres 155/65/13 front wheels/tyres Smiths guages 200 mph speedo 6 point roll cage Brakes -rear jaguar 2 pot - front 10" 2 pot drilled/vented green stuff pads 8 gallon handmade fuel tank Fuel 97 octane shell Fuel consumption urban light throttle 19mpg Fuel consumption urban heavy throttle 8mpg Fuel consumption m,way light throttle 27mpg 0-60 mph 4.7 seconds Top speed 167mph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.