broke bolt - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2006, 10:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

broke bolt

i broke a bolt trying to put a new tranni mount on my muncie i drilled a hole a tried using a easy out but broke it any other ideas

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

Broke Bolt

I assume that you have broke it off in the back of the block. At one time I would supplement my income real nicely with these problems but I am going to tell you how to do it for free.
The way that I did this was to take a nut that is a couple of sizes larger then the bolt that is broken off. Hold the nut with a pair of vise grips over the bolt hole/bolt and then weld it to the broken bolt with a good mig welder. Even if the bolt is broken off below the surface it will work because the steel alloy of the mig wire will not stick to the cast iron block. Simply fill the hole with weld and let it also fill up the nut. When you have it welded it will glow red hot but the area around the bolt hole will be Lot cooler. Have a water hose ready and squirt the nut with it until it is completely cooled down. This will shock the bolt loose from the bolt hole and chances are you can turn it out by hand. I have done this even with an easy out broken of in the bolt. It has always worked for me with out fail. If you do not know how to weld, seek the help of some one that does. Be sure that who ever does it clamps the ground lead directly to the block and as close as possible to the area that will be welded. When welding on any vehicle, many of rod and main bearings have been toasted because it was not properly grounded. You have to be quick and sometimes it takes two or three tries. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I believe the fellow is talking about a mount on the tail housing of the muncie , not the engine block?

On the tail housing, use a die grinder to a cut off wheel....... cut through the side of the bolt area a bit to remove the bolt and easy out. this will require the area to be rewelded by tig for aluminum.

On a side note IMHO the easy out is a mis named tool, seldom is it easy
Old 05-07-2006, 01:13 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

thats all easy outs are good for. Still you might weld a nut on the end of that broken bolt, easy out and all.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

Broke Bolt

Well I tell you what partner, been there, done that, had a coke and came back! My technique with the welder works on aluminum as well! And its fast. Anyone up for a bet bring it to me in Jacksonville Fl
Old 05-07-2006, 02:13 PM

dont think im going to drive that far i live in oklahoma but i did pull it out and am going to to take it to a machine shop and let them deal with it appreciate the info guys
Old 05-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp
Well I tell you what partner, been there, done that, had a coke and came back! My technique with the welder works on aluminum as well! And its fast. Anyone up for a bet bring it to me in Jacksonville Fl
I agree with you. I've used that technique and others for decades with trannys to remove bolts

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.