Broke manifold bolt now it leaks a little did more damage with my extractor. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Track & Street

Wiki Edits: 0

Broke manifold bolt now it leaks a little did more damage with my extractor.

I noticed I had moisture on my manifold of my chevy small block. I tried to remove my intake manifold bolt to replace it and broke it, it is about a ľ of an inch deep into the manifold. I drove it to work and situation did not change, except I have half a bolt. It is not leaking out under the manifold, or loosng a lot of coolant. I just notice it looks a little wet about an inch around the bolt like if I misted it . I havenít notice any loss in performance, and it is still running great. I drove it like this for about a week and told a friend who works with me, he said I needed to take the bolt out and get a new one in as soon as possible that I warp my manifold just driving it home. So I went home and tried to take it out, I drilled into the bolt and went in a little cockeyed and ended up going off center and nicking my manifold. It still doesnít leak badly. It takes three or four days to notice the moisture of driving back and forth to work, about 30 miles each way. Right now I am busy with work, farm hand, so I donítí have time. But I donít want to mess up my truck driving it back and forth to work, my friend insists I have already ruined my engine, did I?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

Ok as far as seriousness , youíll be ok for a while.

This is actually a very common problem Iíve come across. And even when the bolts are in they can still leak a bit and over time most will as sealer/teflon tape break down.

But the bolts breaking below the manifold, but still sticking out of the block a little bit is pretty common sight for me. If it is just vapor on the manifold only, no moisture coming from below the intake, just out of the top, and it isnít leaving puddles you can give a temp fix to hold you over.

I have three examples of this.

I have a friend with a small block that he broke the bolt installing it after replacing the manifold gasket, still had a little stud sticking up from the block but not over the manifold hole, had the same thing happen. Tried to extract it with ez-outs and slipped the bit and hit down the side of manifold and put a hole in the side of the bolt versus the middle. So he started it and didnít leak, so drove it a while, started to get moisture just vapor no water around the bolt, not under the manifold. This bolt was right by the water neck, he took permatex gas and radiator sealer and pushed a plug of that down in it as a temp fix. Lasted about three months then he got moisture again. So he has been doing that for about years now popping out the old and putting in new . The plan is to fix the bolt when he has to do the gasket again, whenever that is, lets see its been thirteen years now and he still hasnít got around to it. Been his daily driver with no other problems that for over a decade now.

Also another buddy put a big block ford engine in and used his intake bolt to pick up the motor (had it chained), kinked the bolt head, he broke the head and part of the thread. trying to take it out This was the front passenger side of the block. Tried to extract it, and did the same thing, even punched the bolt first, but somehow went in at an angle. I was there, no way he was going to take manifold off. So I told him about my friend before, he started it and nothing came out, after a day or two of having his fingers crossed it wouldnít leak around the bolt it started to get vapor on the manifold Coming up from the side of the bolt. So I brought over my easy outs and he tried to get in beside the broken bolt on the other side, and did the same thing to other side. After throwing my easy outs all over the garage I went and got my torch and solder (I was doing plumbing in his house too) I filled the hole in the manifold half way with solder and then he plugged with gas/radiator patch. That was ten years ago, he too hasnít fixed it, but the plan is when ever the manifold comes off next. But that worked with out issue, though I wouldnít call it fixed.

Last time, a little different. I was working on a camaro a kid had tried to put 2Ē+ manifold bolts in broke the one off in the front driver side, second one back on a 350. I took my solder again and filled the hole then plugged it in a similar manner, he drove it for a year with no leaks then took his manifold off, got a performer, then he was able to grab it with vice grips and take it out and replace it.

The correct way to get that bolt out and put new one in. Use your preference of Teflon tape, or thread sealer/water proofer on the new bolt. You may not want to use an extractor again while your manifold is on and risk damaging the block or manifold if you have a nasty hole started already, but since you still have a bit of the bolt that will be off up the block when you take the manifold off you will be able to get it easily. Checks the threads of the hole and make sure you wonít need to use some kind helicoil if you really nicked good with your bit.

I go to shows often and every show someone will look at the engine polishing it up and realize, with no idea how long it has been leaking, but they have a intake bolt that produces a little moisture. If it is coming out under the manifold, or spraying out like a fountain then you got a problem you need fix ASAP. But you may want to try something to stop/ control it until you get through this busy part of the year. I can understand farming Iím from Iowa originally .
Old 05-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If you want to fix it, remove the intake, heat the broken bolt with a torch until its red then hit it with marvel mystery oil, it should back out easily.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvillewho
I noticed I had moisture on my manifold of my chevy small block. I tried to remove my intake manifold bolt to replace it and broke it, it is about a ? of an inch deep into the manifold. I drove it to work and situation did not change, except I have half a bolt. It is not leaking out under the manifold, or loosng a lot of coolant. I just notice it looks a little wet about an inch around the bolt like if I misted it . I haven?t notice any loss in performance, and it is still running great. I drove it like this for about a week and told a friend who works with me, he said I needed to take the bolt out and get a new one in as soon as possible that I warp my manifold just driving it home. So I went home and tried to take it out, I drilled into the bolt and went in a little cockeyed and ended up going off center and nicking my manifold. It still doesn?t leak badly. It takes three or four days to notice the moisture of driving back and forth to work, about 30 miles each way. Right now I am busy with work, farm hand, so I don?t? have time. But I don?t want to mess up my truck driving it back and forth to work, my friend insists I have already ruined my engine, did I?
Doesn't sound like you've ruined the engine. But you have made a problem for yourself. As it is, if you can live with the minor leak, I'd leave it alone but make plans on getting to it.

When an attempted drilling of a busted bolt goes off center, the problem of getting what remains out becomes a lot larger.

Generally when a bolt breaks off, it's from corrosion. Chevrolet has several head and manifold bolts that go into the cooling passages, a thing very common in the days when it was designed. So these things tend to corrode in place and when you go to remove them, they break off. The tried and true method has been to drill them for an extractor tool. The problem this has is that the tool takes the weakened and still stuck bolt and expands it even harder into the female thread. So this gets to cross purposes pretty fast. If you can get at the bolt with accuracy the best way is to drill small to ever larger holes till all but the threads are gone, then pick the bolt's threads out of the casting with a small sharp tool. But with the off center hole in the broken bolt that process is out of reach without putting the head on a drill press to where it can be firmly held in place while a new hole is drilled into it. At this point a 3 or 4 flute bit or an end mill is the better choice as these tools are less likely to follow the hole that's there. But with a full ID size 2 flute bit being fed slowly, you could probably get there.

The machine shop solution in a suitably equipped shop would be to electrically burn it out.

But until you can get the time to do this right I wouldn't mess with it. From where you're at it's really easy to make a much bigger mess of things. If it blows out, then you'll have to tend to it immediately if not wait and get your ducks in a row first.

When you reassemble, use a plumber's Teflon paste sealer. Put some in the bolt holes so it gets pushed into the threads ahead of the bolt. Putting it only on the bolt mostly ends up with the sealer being stripped from the threads and rolled up under the bolt head where it will keep coolant from leaking into the engine, but does nothing for keeping coolant out of the threads.

Bogie
Old 05-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Track & Street

Glad to hear it isn't ruined. Very very minor leak so I will wait on it, probably do it in late summer/early fall when the season dies down. I didn't think my friend knew what he was talking about he has a 70 something monte that has been sitting for years because he could never get it to run, swears to god something is wrong with the timing belt though he replaced it three times, I know it isn't timed because we checked for TDC and it was way off, but you can't get anything into his head . Well I am planning on doing the valve cover gaskets, so might as well do the manifold gasket at the same time, that will make that bolt a lot easier to get too.

Thanks for the help and tips guys!

If anything comes up with that project I'll definitely be posting for advice.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.