broke new motor need help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

broke new motor need help

hey guys,
okay so this will sound weird but its true im not a dummy.
i have a gen 5 454 91-95.. I rebuilt the motor with all good parts. was trying to make about 550 horse. kb dome pistons big solid roller lunati cam. alum heads, the works. anyway got it running and it ran awesome. had unbelievable power and was a blast. however about 2 hours run time on this all new motor my timing chain broke at like 3000 rpm not even getting into it. well it bent 4 valves cracked the head ect! NO FUN! ... anyway never could figure out what would have caused that to happen.. my question is i put a gen 5 timing chain on it a comp cams.. my block casting number says its a gen 5 91to95 but the front of my block is drilled for a gen 6 cover which only has 6 bolts. so im assuming that it was made as a gen 5 but some how got switched at the factory and got drilled for a gen 6 cover.... the gen 5 and 6 timing chains are different part numbers but i cannot see what the differnce would be. what timing chain should i get?. Do you think thats what cause it to break??? anyway im stumped on what to do but i got new heads and really dont want that to happen again .. please let me know what you think..
thanks guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 10:28 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Couple questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast62 View Post
hey guys,
okay so this will sound weird but its true im not a dummy.
i have a gen 5 454 91-95.. I rebuilt the motor with all good parts. was trying to make about 550 horse. kb dome pistons big solid roller lunati cam. alum heads, the works. anyway got it running and it ran awesome. had unbelievable power and was a blast. however about 2 hours run time on this all new motor my timing chain broke at like 3000 rpm not even getting into it. well it bent 4 valves cracked the head ect! NO FUN! ... anyway never could figure out what would have caused that to happen.. my question is i put a gen 5 timing chain on it a comp cams.. my block casting number says its a gen 5 91to95 but the front of my block is drilled for a gen 6 cover which only has 6 bolts. so im assuming that it was made as a gen 5 but some how got switched at the factory and got drilled for a gen 6 cover.... the gen 5 and 6 timing chains are different part numbers but i cannot see what the differnce would be. what timing chain should i get?. Do you think thats what cause it to break??? anyway im stumped on what to do but i got new heads and really dont want that to happen again .. please let me know what you think..
thanks guys
Are you using a cam that uses the original retainer plate?

Was the timing chain that broke a single or double roller?

Is there a "Gen 6" cast into the timing chain area? Every BBC I've seen w/a cast 6-bolt timing cover has been a Gen 6.

What is the casting DATE of the block?
Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

sorry for the delay i was out of town..
ok so to answer those questions
i am not using a cam the uses the retainer plate. i have a a cam that fits all the years from 65 to 95. the gen 6 are the only ones that had a retainer plate..

the chain that broke was a double roller.

gen 6 is not stamped in the front of the block. however it is drilled for a gen 6 cover..
this is what i found for the casting number.
12550313...454.......91-up...4-bolt, Gen.V crate motor, Gen. VI 4.25" bare block, fuel pump boss

Last edited by 1fast62; 09-01-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The only way I can see the chain snapping is if the (back of) the cam gear caught on the block.

Cam walk, cam gear to block clearance?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:23 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast62 View Post
sorry for the delay i was out of town..
ok so to answer those questions
i am not using a cam the uses the retainer plate. i have a a cam that fits all the years from 65 to 95. the gen 6 are the only ones that had a retainer plate..

the chain that broke was a double roller.

gen 6 is not stamped in the front of the block. however it is drilled for a gen 6 cover..
this is what i found for the casting number.
12550313...454.......91-up...4-bolt, Gen.V crate motor, Gen. VI 4.25" bare block, fuel pump boss
Unless the chain was defective to begin with, I'd suspect the cam button was adjusted too loose and that allowed the cam to walk forward enough to let the cam hit. If this happened, there will be tell-tail evidence of this on the cam and block where they contacted.

If you are using a Mk. 4 type cam and a thrust button, use a Mk. 4 type timing set. If the block has been align bored you might need a shorter timing set.

BTW, some Mark 4, and Gen 5 and 6 have retainer plate bolt holes. The Gen 6 uses a smaller diameter bolt pattern on the hydraulic roller cam gear to differentiate it from the earlier set up.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.