Broke in and running GREAT - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2002, 11:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Broke in and running GREAT

Guys, I wish more people could have posted this sort of info. when I was in seek and destroy mode! haha. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again and tell you that the (below) build is fantastic. Once I got it broke in, timing set and went down a notch on the secondary metering rods, it is a VERY nice daily driver.

The cam is pretty smooth, not lumpy and is easy to drive in city traffic. Tons of hwy power and very decent stop light to stop light.

Mileage is OK, not great. I get about 15 on the hwy and lordy knows in town since I have my foot in it alot.

If I had to do it over again, I would advance the cam a bit for low end torque...udderwise perfect.

Any comments on what I could have done better, always appreciated. Heck, it could be a looooong winter and I'm always up for a project.

===================================

1. Quadrajet 795
2. Edlebrock Performer intake
3. Edlebrock Performer 64cc heads
4. xtreme energy cam: .462/.469 lift and duration @ .050 is 218/224 and lobe separation is 110 degrees
5. Flatop Hypereutectic .60 pistons
6. Block is normal deck height and bored .60 over.
7. Points distributor

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2002, 01:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I have a 50s hemi that had dual points and I was amazed at the improvement in performance and mileage when I converted to electronic ignition and added an MSD5 ignition module. This electronic ignition stuff isn't all hype; it really works. That is the only big mod I can see in what you already have.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:29 PM

I have a 68 Corvair 140 that I installed a Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition and it improved the performance 100%. No more floating points and more fire to your spark plugs. I use a 40,000 volt coil that is part of the system. I will be converting all my 12v points cars to electronic. If I could find it for my 6v cars I would put it in them too. Check out Pertronix at their web site <a href="http://www.pertronix.com/." target="_blank">http://www.pertronix.com/.</a> I have a crane system on my 260Z and don't like it as well as the pertronix. It installs easily and is all located under the distributor cap so it looks stock.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

I bought that Pertronix for my dads 68 Camaro. So it really makes a noticeable differance huh?
Old 07-23-2002, 08:21 PM

Pertronix Is the way to go, unless you can aford an MSD system.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:29 PM
72 Chevy Cheyenne

Last photo:

How many miles did it take to break in? I have about 2300 miles on mine, I guess it's broken in, it's hard to tell.
I'm using the Pertronix set up, it's great but I still think I'm going to change over to HEI.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:25 AM

Honestly, it dit not really settle in and run super smooth until I had 1000 miles. It was just OK. You really have to be patient. Also, timing changed during breakin.

If were to change the distributor. I'd be more inclined to go with MSD. But I think it runs fantastic on good old points.

This really was not a big buck build and got one heck of a motor. Am VERY curious to know what the HP and torque is. Seat of pants tells me close to 400hp at redline.

BTW - Am having one problem. Fan belt slips and squeals. I did repaint the stock pulleys and will sand them tonight....but suspect the cheesy previous owners alternator bracket is flexing. Thoughts on that?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.