Broken Bolt Removal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Lead Foot Hotrodder

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Broken Bolt Removal

I went down to auto zone and got a new bolt for my power steering pump bracket I thought the bolt came out but it broke off it goes into the block but there is about 3 or 4 threads sticking out of the block my questions is what would be the best way to take the bolt out it's a 3/8 bolt it's to the right behind the fan below the valve cover in the front of the block next to the frame after i take the other bolt out i can move the bracket and container holding the fluid out of the way to get to the bolt. Should I use a bolt puller and drill into it? I'm not sure I can get a drill in there is there any other way to do it? Vise Grips maybe? Any help would be good thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Can you weld ?

I have taken a MIG and tacked a stud to one and then between the heat of the weld and the new stud.........it screwed right out..

Old 12-22-2005, 03:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

if you can easily gain access, you can weld a nut on the remaining material. you could drill and easy out it, or try the most unsucessful way of cutting a ridge in to the middle for a screwdriver.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Lead Foot Hotrodder

Last photo:

I've been welding for 6 yrs now I can weld but I don't have access to a welder right now that would be a good idea thou I'll check around i might be able to find one to use. If not then I'll have to do something else.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:56 PM

Last journal entry: Cooling...
Last photo:

reverse drill bit

clearance may prohibit this, but go to your local rental yard and ask for an obstruction drill. its a small electric drill that has a right angle head so it can be used on close quarters. Then go to the autoparts store, (read NAPA) and ask for a reverse drill bit. Its the same as a regular drill bit, but it runs counter clockwise, and they are usually pretty short. with this lash up, drill the center of the bolt, and the drill but will usually grab the bolt and spin it backwards, backing it out of the hole, if it doesn't spin out on the drill, then switch to an easy out, I prefer the square ones instead of the twisted type. Good luck
Old 12-22-2005, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

74, If you only have about 3-4 threads sticking out it probably is not enough to get hold of with vise grips. The way I do this is to take a washer that fits the bolt snugly, put it on whats left of the bolt and then while holding it flat to the block plug weld it to the bolt. Once this is done you can then take a larger nut and plug weld it onto the bolt without fear of welding it to the block, this will form a new larger head on the bolt allowing for easy removal.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Having removed at least a 100 or more broken bolts...

I would weld a nut on the stub, thread the nut on if possible to the 3 or 4 threads left. Weld the nut to the bolt stub at the center of the nut now threaded on the stub. Let the nut cool just a little and then with a GOOD 6 point socket back out the stub/nut. Now your ready to clean up the hole/thread's in the block with a bottom tap. I'd suggest checking the depth of the hole with a smaller bolt to see how deep the existing threads go into the block...how far in did you screw in the bolt that broke off, you may need a MUCH shorter bolt to finish your job after you clean up the thread's. You may have to remove anything in the way of welding on the nut..I'd forget the vice-grip idea all together. Please let us know how your repair turn's out!!!

Tazz
Old 12-22-2005, 04:48 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

If you don't have access to a welder, use your propane torch or oxy-acetylene to run the broken bolt through several heating and cooling cycles. Cool the bolt after heating to a dull red (won't hurt your cast iron block , don't do this on aluminum) with PB Blaster or Kroil. Do this several times. After completly cool the last time, clean throughly with brake cleaner, put some red loctite in a nut and screw onto the remaining bolt just past finger tight. Warm it a little bit with the torch. just warm, not hot. Let set for a while, About an hour. Spray with oil again, tap with a small hammer, and turn out a bit and back in a bit. Spray with oil again and repeat. After a few rocks it should screw right out. Don't always work but it doesn't damage anything so other methods can be tried.
The best way is to weld a nut on it , heat and cool a few times and remove.
Good Luck and Merry Christmas
Old 12-23-2005, 03:09 AM
Lead Foot Hotrodder

Last photo:

thanks guys for the good sugestions I'll see how it turns out, the bolt that broke off was in there already I didn't put it in I think the vibration or something broke it off from the bracket that the bolt was holding on. It was getting hard to turn the wheel so I checked it out and found the bracket was missing a bolt loosing up the belt on the pully I thought the bolt came out but it broke off so now I'm fixing it. I'll try and see what will work to get it out and get back to ya thanks again guys for all the help.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

Bolt Broken Off

Bolts that are broken off from being over tightened (Stretched until it breaks) will come out easy because the thread pressure is now released. When a welder is not available I have use a hacksaw to cut a slot across the center of the bolt and then used a flat tip screw driver with a wrench or vise grips on the screw driver shift to take the bolt out. If the bolt is broken from bottoming out in the hole, use a welder to weld a bolt to the old bolt. The bolt is still tight against the bottom of the hole. Yours should be OK to remove with a slot and screw driver.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Lead Foot Hotrodder

Last photo:

Thanks for the help guys got the bolt out. I tried the hack saw but couldn't get the blade in there very good, so just for laughs I tried a pair of vise grips and it had enough threads on it to lock on and loosen the bolt enough to get it out. Thanks again guys.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.