Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - broken crankshaft
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 02:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcoscrazyest69 View Post
I have and it would be much easier but i was under the impression that cast steel was stronger. And my famous question if i got the crank from napa do you think it would need to be balanced?
I'm less than convinced that these so called cast steel cranks are actually steel rather than nodular iron. Certainly when you see numbers like 80-60-06 you know this is a designation for nodular iron. What 9000 series cast steel crankshaft is, I don't know. Are they actually casting an AISI 9000 series silicon/manganese steel or is this a nodular iron casting, which SCATs own data sheet titles this as "9000 Series Nodular Crankshaft".

The difference between iron and steel is the amount of carbon. Cast iron sees carbon as 2% by weight and higher. Steel sees carbon as 2% by weight or lower. Either can have alloying elements such as nickel, chrome, and other common and rare metals, but the presence of alloy elements doesn't change the base material from high carbon cast iron into lower carbon steel. So I don't really know what this 9000 stuff is. That's not to slam SCAT's 9000 series casting, we've built and run them and they prove to be pretty sturdy shafts for performance street and light/claimer competition.

But are they technially steel?

Bogie