Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - broken crankshaft
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 12:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

As said, heard about it, haven't seen it. Perhaps due to it, Eagle fixed the problem? There were a small number of Pontiac castings that "got out" with a rough thrust face. They caught and corrected it. They paid us to repair the ones we found. I KNOW Eagle does try to make things better all the time. As for Scat, well, the balance issue is very real. AND, when one calls a company to talk about a problem, condescention and arrogance are NOT how to win loyalty. One of the highest "ranking" people in Scat told me "SAE AND Sunnen are wrong" about a specific process. The details don't matter. I submit, SAE is THE "final authority" in certain areas, including the one in question. Sunnen supplies the best machine equipment on the planet and has the best trainers for that equipment. No. Scat was wrong.

The "steel" in the Eagle castings is quite different to grind than the factory nodular cranks. I'm NOT a metalurgist, but I can tell the difference in "sound" and finish. Based on the process, I prefer the factory nodulars for anything serious. The bigger-mained (3"-up) cast steel cranks seem to be okay up to 750 HP and about 7,500 RPM. We've used them in Fords and Pontiacs without incident. BBCs do NOT like them at higher revs.

FWIW

Jim