Broken Fuel Gauge - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Broken Fuel Gauge

I have a 74 GMC truck and the fuel gauge seems to be broken. It sits at about a quarter tank but I know it has more. I started ripping apart the dash and stopped when I realized I might have to take out the speedo cable.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to fix the gauge. Do I need to pull the speedo cable out to gain access to the back of the gauges.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 04:03 AM

Last photo:

Gage works off the sending unit in the tank, which uses resistance levels (via the float) to ground. That is.... the higher the fuel level the higher the resistance and the gage reads full..... as the fuel level drops the resistance drops etc..... (I may the that reversed) any way you should be able to temp ground the wire from the sending unit and see if the fuel level goes to full, if it does you may have a faulty sending unit.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 AM

The gauge is fairly easy to remove without ripping out very much from the dash. The speedometer cable is easy, but you may also have a mechanical oil pressure gauge with a hard line running to the engine. However, the problem is more likely to be the sending unit or wiring.

Sending unit wire is tan color. It runs out of the dash cluster, through the firewall and across behind the engine in a wiring bundle. From there it breaks out of the bundle and runs down the passenger side frame rail to the fuel tank. Inside the frame rail near the tank there should be a junction you can pop apart to get access to the sending unit wire.

If you turn the truck on and ground that wire, you should get full scale on the tank. If you check voltage on that wire with the truck on it should show 12 volts. If either of these two tests fail, you need to follow the wire back and make sure its connected. The area where it runs behind the engine and near the passenger side exhaust manifold is very vulnerable.

For the dash removal
- Remove radio knobs and the screws that hold the trim on.
- Work the trim off around the wiper switch and the A/C vents - don't remove the switch or vents.
- Remove the plastic gauge face (one big piece of plastic)
- Remove screws that hold the speedometer/fuel gauge into the cluster
- Reach behind the dash and squeeze the clip that holds the speedometer cable on; then pull the cable out of the speedo
- Pull the gauge out of the cluster

Let me know if you have questions. I think I have the cluster apart on my '75 every couple of years to fix or check something.

Bruce
Old 03-08-2011, 05:48 AM

hi,
since the GM sender is 0 ohms empty and 90 ohms full, shouldn't grounding the sending unit wire deflect the gauge to empty? likewise, an open wire would swing the pointer to full, or past full?
just going over my notes.
mark
Old 03-08-2011, 07:16 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74GMC
I have a 74 GMC truck and the fuel gauge seems to be broken. It sits at about a quarter tank but I know it has more. I started ripping apart the dash and stopped when I realized I might have to take out the speedo cable.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to fix the gauge. Do I need to pull the speedo cable out to gain access to the back of the gauges.
Does the gauge needle change position when the key is turned off and on? Does the needle drop any as the tank is emptied, or does it just stay in the same place?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:34 AM

Thanks

The gauge needle changes just a little bit. Not much though this is why I figured it was broken. Normally it moves doesn't it? I havn't been driving it so I'm not sure if it will drop as it is emptied. I just run my truck once a week or so.

Thanks for all the reply's I'll try out your suggestions. Appreciate it.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.