Broken Turn Signal Lever - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2003, 01:13 PM
drive it like you hate it

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Angry Broken Turn Signal Lever

Okay, the lever will no longer lock to keep the signal on and sometimes I can't even hold it all the way up/down to activate. How diffficult is it to and how do I pull off the steering column cover to fix this problem? I would like to be able to do it mysef so any and help is appreciated...The car is a 1977 Chevy Camaro with aftermarket grant steering wheel. Car used to be an automatic so some column shift features may still be inside...Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2003, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

broken turn signal lever

Most Checker/AutoZone Pep Boys whatever you have offer a steering wheel puller. Less than ten bucks around here. Pull the wheel take care and remove the snap ring holding the ignition lock ring and you can see the screw for the turn signal. Get a new dealer item and install. replace the parts in order removed. I find it helps to be extra careful with the main snap ring do not over spring it during removal and you can reinstall it I use a deep socket about the size of the shaft to push the snap ring back into its locking roove. Light tap with wooden mallet to reinsert sometimes works if you got right socket...I have a tool made from an old ignition lock that has just right size diameter and it usually taps right in. Do not over tap as you will break the horn module. Each of these parts are over ten dollars each so don't get rembunctious and beat the **** out of them.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:06 PM

Last photo:

Kool, I'll look into that puller and my horn is broken so I guess I won't worry about breaking it, or I'll actually fix it...Thanks again and I'll let y'all know how it goes...
Old 06-18-2003, 05:13 AM

Last photo:

Broken horn may not be in column. Be carefull I found out the hard way 'each' piece is expensive. The turnsignal unit can be purchased as well as the other seemingly insignificant items but its very easy to exceed one hundred dollars in total. I was somewhat lucky in that I have several columns to get parts off but there was a change in the mid seventies and there are subtle differences. Last week I bought a horn ring it was $16.23. None I had would fit.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the warning man...I'm in the midst of building an engine so any money saved helps. And I think that I can do it without a puller cause my aftermarket Grant Wheel is appears to be held in with several hexkey bolts. Thanks again guys...
Old 06-19-2003, 04:29 AM

Last photo:

In the old days I always used a rubber hammer to pull wheel but now a day I have the luxury of many years of parts and tools collecting in my gurage. The hammer can break the wheel sometimes you can sort of rock wiggel it off. On my Lacarra it has an adaptor which is threaded for a puller and you cannot easily get into a position to bop it one. On my other car it just seems to pop off as soon as I get the big nut off.
Money has always been short here thus many things I build myself cause just about any 'kit' is over a hundred but after having three 'boy' kids there are lots of pieces I can canaball and modify. When the kids come around they are amazed at some of the things I have constructed. I just don't show anybody cause it never is as pretty as the hundred dollar after market stuff....although the Lacarra adaptor was a poor job of chrome platting and they will not answer my e-mails.
I go to as many NSRA events as I have the patience to and am now getting ready for Pueblo...they have a small swap meet and usually I can find something I can modify to fit.

I built an engine one time and used wheel bearing grease for the bearings etc. Well after about a hundred miles the wheel bearing grease..still in the engine with its breakin oil ,,came apart the fibers clogged the oil pump and I had to replace the crank etc.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

Okay, I'm down to the lock plate using the puller to push the plate down to remove the ring. The problem is I can't get rid of the ring. Is there a trick to it or should I just cut it and put a new one on later??? Thanks for any help...
Old 06-19-2003, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

If your talking about the 'wire' lookin split ring you gotta get it out by digging. I use a scribe and small scewderiver while trying to push down on the ignition lock ring. If your talking about the ignition lock ring its floating just wiggle it off up wards after getting the split ring out....its a $34.00 item don't cut it ...was'nt there a blank plate disk over it all?? Dont break that its $11.00 ..if your lucky you might have the metal screw in disk but if its plastic you gotta be careful or buy a new one. Turn the ignition on and the pin for the lock will depress loosening up the lock ring...I'm not sure which your talking about..does it have a bunch of 'U' shaped slots on its end? Thats the ignition lock $34.00...it just lifts out when you get the lock ring prid out. But it is keyed for only one way onto the shaft look at it as you go the horn ring assembly locates this guy with its internal splined gear teeth.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

Okay, I'm talking about the split ring on the pinion for the steering, not the ignition one. Help me if you can please...Thanks again...
Old 06-19-2003, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

1) unlock the ignition switch...turn it 'on'
2) while pressing down as hard as you can [two people help] on the ignitioin lock ring pry the split ring up and out..I use a scribe or small screwdriver just get an edge up and you can force the rest out. Another tip I force the split ring 'opening' around by tapping on end to get it into a position you can work on it. Although I have sanp ring plyers they don't work.
3) if you get some help they should be 'pressing down on the ignition lock ring' as hard as they can while you pry up the snap ring.
4) work the snap ring one edge at a time up over the spline and eventually off the shaft.
5) Lift off the ignition lock ring/plate and your horn assembly will spring upward
6) take off horn ring and you will see a spring 'a real tough item' causing you all the trouble getting it apart and subsequently together again.
7) you can now see the trun signal assembly you may need a whole new unit but the screw for the turn signal arm is right there...go for it.

I have had some luck doing it alone but you gotta maintain pressure on the ignitioin lock ring 'downward' to dig out the snap ring...if its been a while its tough but if its been off since 'new' probably will be easier. You might be able to take a screwdriver and insert it into the column outer shell 'from the inside' where the turnsignal arm comes out and pry downward on the ignition lock ring enough too get at the snap ring...be sure to maintain equal pressure on the other side of the screwdriver so the ignition ring is forced downward equally.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

well, I got everything off and went and got a new part, only to have trouble getting the wiring and its connector fished down the column. I ended up having to drop the column some and then it was relatively easy. I wish the books had mentioned that...lol. Always reminds me that the repair manuals don't always tell everything...So hopefully it is all done successfully. All the wiring and switches work. The only prob. with the new switch is that the hazard light switch is sticking to the point that I can't pull it down to deactivate after turning them on. Is this normal? I'm gonna work on loosening it a little before bolting it all back together tomorrow. Thanks again for the help people...
Old 06-21-2003, 04:38 AM

Last photo:

Have no experience with Hazard items sounds like an adjustment to me. Going back together is easy until you try to reinsert the snap ring...again you gotta depress that ignation lock disc and its tough. I have had some luck with a deep well socket that is a size to go over the shaft and 'tight' enough to sort of push the snap ring down. You may need to tap it the last tiny bit to get the snap ring to catch then take a small tool and tap/work the ring into place aroung the shaft.

Keep on truckin...see ya
Wally
Old 06-21-2003, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Well, at that point I'll just use my steering wheel lock plate puller, which depresses that piece and makes access to the snap ring groove easy...
Old 06-21-2003, 03:41 PM

Last photo:

Good Luck...I never heard or saw a lock plate puller
Oh well on ward and upward
Old 06-21-2003, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

It all went back together well once I got it all lined up. Thanks again for all the help guys...

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.