Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - a brown seat I did
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ouch is right......lol

wow.......... that is HIGH......lol....
Dan........ I do understand overhead of a shop, but here, a buddy of mine rents a small place that will hold 2 cars comfortable with room to work for 450.00 a month and that includes utilities........ its the basement side of a business that holds a small store on top, a used tire shop in back and my buddies upholstery shop in bottom..... and theres a guy here , Steve Holcomb who runs and owns Pro Auto Custom Interiors does it at his house out of his garage, he does work like Interiors by Shannon, good lord they both do beautiful work ( google him, or youtube his name, you'll see what I mean )
and more tools ?....... lol.... now Dan, you know "boys and toys"..... lol..... I raced late model dirt cars from the late 80's early 90's until 06 when I finally sold out..... when I started upholstery I bought a juki lu563 and also have a consew 206rb, pneumatic hog ring gun ( had 2 sold one to my buddy ) 3 hog ring pliers, rolls upon rolls of different colors of thread, 5'x12' ft laminated table...... and the list goes on and on.....lol..... I think I am a tool hoarder....... but the more I read the more I see that materials cost are all over the board just like upholstery prices.
example: I have 2 places here local that I can buy vinyl for 8 bucks a yard.
sew foam: 1/2 inch 6.50, 3/8 5.50, and 1/4 is 4.50.... headliner is 7.50
and marine grade that is uv treated is maybe a buck more a yard.
I've got a guy in morristown that I get leather hides from ( just got 6 for Christmas, 4 black and 2 red ) from 49 to 52 sq ft each for 130.00 a hide.
and foam remnants, I get skins ( the outside of a formed piece of foam )
to line a seat with and other pieces of different thicknesses, lengths and densities for free from a shop here called foam rubber outlet.
so wiring a spring back together or using a carving knife to cut out a bad piece of foam to replace with another piece of foam.... I never charge for.

so I can see that prices are all over the board everywhere, just like they are here.

Also, please anyone that reads this, please DO NOT take it the wrong way, dont be offended by it, I'm just telling you of some of my experiences and cost of things here in knoxville, tn and I just started this post to see what you guys charge and cost of materials in other places.
Thank you guys and also Thank you Dan for always answering....... Eddie

oooooooooooo yeah...... one more thing..... you guys ever seen one of these ??????? I did the interior work in the back of it and thats my great nephew in the window, he's 2....... its a 1965 mustang station wagon.....
now you wanna stir up some controversy start some conversations about this thing........lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	240.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	70264