Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Brush with Death - Video of a Top Fuel Crash: Cory McClenathan
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Exhaust, Filler, and Trailer
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Basically, Johnson said NHRA either needed to get the tracks to remove the bumps or NHRA needed to re-spec the cars, making them stronger. A tonger frame pretty has one result. More weight and less chassis "action" will lead to slower et's - less excitement for the fans. His tone seemed to be very upset with NHRA. I think it is a genuine concern for racers and their families. He did lose his brother in one of these cars.

To the owner of Bristol's credit, he is going to spend a ton (I think the estimate is 7 figures) of money to get the track flat before next years event. There are two pedestrian tunnels under the track and there are significant bumps at both locations.

When you stop to think about the dynamics of these cars, a bumpy track is sort of the last straw. First they are hauled to 20 plus races crossing the US from one side to the other as well as top to bottom. The frame is the suspension absorbing the road shock (God help them if they have to drive through Tulsa). Then they accelerate from 0 to 270+ mph withing 660 feet. The chassis is resisting the torque required to make nearly 8000 horsepower.

I think NHRA has a problem. They are trying to address it. They have the rev limiters. They now require the frames to receive PWHT. They have limited the percentage of nitro. They are going to have a lab do destructive testing on the tubes and welds from Cory's car to see what can be learned there. They are walking a fine line. If they slow the cars down, they will lose fans. If they can't bring the safety up, they will lose racers.