Bucket seat help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bucket seat help

Hi I need some ideas on what would be good modern bucket seats for my 64 Bonneville. I realize I would have to make new floor porches for them. I may put them in the front and rear.

I have a newer nos interior but it leaves a lot to be desired when cornering. I've up graded my suspension. I drive my car over 20,000 miles a season so safty is very important.

Any ideas would be helpful.
Thank you,
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 001.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	33293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 005.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	33294  

Advertisement

Last edited by pitts64; 10-15-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 03:32 AM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

My friend, I'm going to be as diplomatic as I can here - don't change a thing!

Ok, I got that off my chest... No I didn't...

You have a primo looking (at least from the inside)1964 Bonneville. It was never meant to take corners at 130mph and handle like a slot car. You have a cruiser - treat it as such. Think about it - that's a big car you have there. It weighs close to 2 tons. You'll never get it to handle like a Ferrari - nor should you try. Glide down the highway with pride, anticipate your stops (drum brakes on all 4 wheels, don't you know,) and forget about running a slalom course. I know it's your car, and you can do with it as you like, but personally, I think hacking up a nice interior like yours is like painting a magic marker mustache on the Mona Lisa. Please rethink this. Enjoy the car for what is was built for - cruising. If that's not your style, sell it to someone who cares and get a Subaru or something.

I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but that's my (free) opinion.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 AM

Last photo:

I understand and agree but in Western Pennsylvania staying up with traffic was tough with the old drum brakes and tires. This area is all hills and bends. I had no choice but to update if I wanted to drive. I put over 20,000 miles on my car a season.

I'm looking into better seat belts. I love the look of the interior it's just the sliding around that's a pain....

Last edited by pitts64; 10-16-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Sorry, but I agree with Mark (Dusty). What a shame to get rid of those gorgeous seats.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

Ok, upon reflection, I can see your point. I'm not opposed to upgrading it. I just think if you trash those seats for something else, you'll regret it later. If it were mine, I'd mount newer seat belts (with shoulder harnesses,) then look into a front disk brake conversion. New tires and wheels are the easy part. I guess what I mean is that I'd try like heck to keep the interior as close to original as possible, while upgrading it to make driving it more pleasant. That's what hot rodding is all about - taking a stock vehicle and making it perform better. I just think it would be a shame to rip out those nice seats to put in a set of buckets from some donor car that may or may not ever look like they belong in there.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:29 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

I don't chime in on posts around here much anymore. I maybe get to this site once a week. I'm not simply disagreeing to disagree...everyone has their opinions. Anyway...

To me, hotrodding and/or customizing is (tastefully) doing whatever you want so you have a unique vehicle that refects your own personality. See the high tech flashy street rod with the bright paint and outrageous interior? He's probably the dude with a couple gold rings and a gold necklace. See the big blower motor with the rear end tubbed? He's the racing fan. See the low tech flat black model A with whitewalls? He's probably the dude with the greased back hair. See the cutlass with 26" wheels? It's the hip hop dude wearing his pants a little low..... That's what I love about car customizing. We build our cars to fit our personality. It may seem stereotypical, and I'm not trying to be that way, but most of the time it's true! And dammit, I think it's awesome!

With that being said, I would do whatever the heck your heart desires. Don't like the bench seat, take it out! Put in some comfy buckets in that suit your needs. But on the other hand, don't trash the bench. Put it in the garage for a "couch" for your buddies to sit on. Or pack it up nicely and store it, but don't get rid of it or destroy it. You can take some nice bucket seats that proportionately fit in the interior and have them upholstered to match the rest of your interior. Don't get too carried away with the seats, stick to a simple seat that won't look too modern... You could fab up some brackets for the buckets that utilize the stock holes in the floor of your car.

I'll attach some pictures of a Ford Crown Victoria we did. We used T-Bird seat frames, but I used some of my own seat foam on the T-Bird frames so they are very comfortable and provide support for modern day driving. The body of the car was stock, except for the new paint and the stock stainless trim was repolished. He had updated suspension components with disc brakes in the front. We used all the original stainless interior trim, and the T-Bird seats have polished trim on them, so they fit the car well. We did a modern custom interior with a classic feel to it. In my opinion, it turned out great, but of course I'm a little biased This customer of ours was from Florida, and he was planning on driving the car year round. So he wanted a classic car with a few modern touches and conveniences. It sounds like you(pitts64) are doing the same kinda thing with your car. So you should be able to put some bucket seats in there and make it look good!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the insight guys.

If I do remove the bench I'd either sell it to a Pontiac club member or store it. It's the 6 way power seat.

I'm looking into 3 point seat belts to replace the lap belts.
I picked up a pair of 64 Pontiac/Chevy SS bucket seats. I'm going to see if I can get covers for them that match my interior along with modern foam. I do want to install head rests in case I'm rear ended. I'd like to get a pair of those round 60s style head rests.

I want my car to look like something you would of seen parked on the street in the sixties. I even use a 8 track.
I'm also planning on swaping the heavy rocker chrome for the cleaner looking stainless from a Star Chief.

Shawn, I agree 100% and I like all cars, Ricers included. I have a slick back.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwF12TASWss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GOlzTPO5HI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6mh9Q7SY5o
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill 003.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	33316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air cleaner build 3 002.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	33317   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHROME WHEELS 2 005.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	33318   Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome wheels 002.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	33319  

Last edited by pitts64; 10-16-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

delete, not needed..

Last edited by pitts64; 10-17-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristkustoms

With that being said, I would do whatever the heck your heart desires. Don't like the bench seat, take it out! Put in some comfy buckets in that suit your needs. But on the other hand, don't trash the bench. Put it in the garage for a "couch" for your buddies to sit on. Or pack it up nicely and store it, but don't get rid of it or destroy it.
Shawn is right, and as a fellow upholsterer and hot rodder I'd love to get the job of re-doing a set of buckets to match the rest of that interior. This was my main point also.........if you want to replace the seats, fine but don't destroy the originals. Thanks for the exterior pics! As an old fart who started driving in the 60's I coveted cars like that.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 10-16-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:45 AM

Last photo:

Ok, I'm droolin'....

No wonder you put 20,000 miles a season on it. I'd cruise it as is for the rest of my life...
Old 10-17-2008, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the kind words guys!
I had one of these in the seventies while going to trade school but not as nice as this one. I couldn't afford a nice car at the time.

Tonight my wife and I went out for Pizza and sat in the Pontiac while listening to 8 tracks just like the old days. A guy in a nice old Imperial passed by and gave us the thumbs up.
I have a rule, in the Pontiac the hell with everything, lets have a good time, were not getting any younger...

Last edited by pitts64; 10-17-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitts64
I have a rule, in the Pontiac the hell with everything, lets have a good time, were not getting any younger...
Words to live by...

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.