Hot Rod Forum banner

A Bucket Seat Suggestion...

14K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  joeford 
#1 ·
We usually like to use our own seats in the cars that we do at Krist Kustoms, because I feel our seats give our work a sort of "signature" feel do them. But we are definitely not opposed to using a customers set of seats. Over the years, I have seen and worked on a ton of junkyard OEM seats. I have seen the best and the worst...

We just finished a 57 Chevy Convertible that had Chrysler 300 seats in them. These are by far the nicest set of seats out of a production vehicle that I have ever worked on. The hinges on the seat are internal, which makes it very easy to get rid of the ugly plastic pieces that are always on the sides of production seats. They were comfortable, good looking, and the internal hinges made for a nice set of seats. So if you are looking for some nice seats at the junkyard, look for a Chrysler 300!

See less See more
#5 ·
Vince---
the 93+ Thunderbird seats look almost like they belong in a 46-48 Ford.

They were comfortable to me as well----in both of my 'Birds
(bought a 94 new---liked it so much I added the 97 later----drove these cars to DEATH)

They might fit well in an earlier model
Another option----if space is limited, might be the seats from a Mitsubishi
Galant or similar----a bit narrower and even the 4dr seats will tilt forward for rear access if needed.

Just a thought

#6 · (Edited)
Hey Shawn (Kriskustoms)

I'm close to the point in my build of a 36 Ford Coupe that I need seats for mocking....Your note on the Chrysler 300 could not have come at a better time....Given your knowledge of the width and particularly the height of the seats, would the be a good basis for my build....I do not want the seat backs above the bottom of windows...or perhaps no more than a couple of inches or so, if you know what I mean....

#9 ·
Cavalier seats

They look good when new,not real comfortable, the injected foam flattens out over time I am having to upgrade the one in wifes Cavalier and she is not a big gal either.Check out the buckets in a '95-96 Thunderbird great support and comfort.

#10 ·
JeffB said:
They look good when new,not real comfortable, the injected foam flattens out over time I am having to upgrade the one in wifes Cavalier and she is not a big gal either.Check out the buckets in a '95-96 Thunderbird great support and comfort.

I guess every butt is different..They are comfortable to me,,And never had any trouble with them..I owned three set's of them,, :D I think they are the best looking seats you can find in a junk yard... ;)

#13 ·
I think I want my 71 Cutlass back

I like the Fusion seats above, particularly the square off top ..... I do want to avoid the more contemporary sides .....

I'll take a look at the T Bird and Riviera seats as suggested.....

Kind of makes me want my old cutlass seats ..........

Thanks guys for all the good ideas .... keep'em coming .... :)

#14 ·
Another option

I am using these in my '54 Ford sedan,I had some buckets I liked but had to sell them because they were a little too wide for the car.The ones I will be using are mid 80's Mustang GT good comfort and the brackets sit flat on the floor making it easy to bolt down with little fab,I will be recovering them to match interior color later.Here is a pic of one.$40 for the pair on craigslist :D one of my better scores!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.