Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bucking and jerking not running right
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmonty View Post

I removed the cap and saw a lot of corrosion(white chalky crap) on the terminals,(zinc not brass) and even on the screws that secure the rotor.
Yeah, this is a classic example of "Cheaper is not always better".

NAPA sells both the Echlin #RR253 with brass contacts (~$80.00 CAD MSRP)
and the "Mileage Plus" brand #RR253MP with aluminum contacts (~$34.00 CAD MSRP)

I usually offer the customer both choices / prices ... and if asked for my opinion ... I ask how long they plan on keeping this vehicle?

Maintainance costs are a relative thing, IMO.

------------------

Reading further down in this thread, someone mentioned a recurring problem on the same cylinder. This is likely caused by high resistance (bad wire or plug), and will likely eventually lead to cross-fire as the spark will follow the path of least resistance.

We had one of these 4.3 Vortec's in our (Ford Dealership) shop a few years with a severe stumble / misfire / kick-back while cranking issue ... which was worse when cold and damp. They had a few different techs quite stumped ... changed cam and crank sensors, replaced starters with broken nose-cones, sheared drives, even ring gears.

This went on for months, it seemed, until somebody actually had a HARD look at the cap and rotor. Yup, evidence of carbon tracking!

Replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs ... and this thing now ran like a swiss watch.