Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Budget 350 Build Question.... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/budget-350-build-question-230225.html)

HunterJ 03-02-2013 07:49 PM

Budget 350 Build Question....

Hello all iam new to register, and i have been reading from the forum alot ...You guys are very helpful and very wise with the sbc stuff.....
I have searched the posts and threads and cant seem to find what iam looking for,

Iam building a cheap (BUDGET) build 350 sbc, to last this summer, then in the fall it will come out, this year just to have some fun with and see what i can get it to run in the 1/4 mile,

this is the parts list i have available and on hand. and the setup now ofcourse..

350 4 BOLT MAIN BLOCK ,
Stock bottom end,
pistons , rods, etc..

"416" 305 heads,

comp cam xe 284h

edelbrock performer rpm intake,

currently have a edelbrock 750 carb

Its in a 85 s-10 reg cab pickup,
with a 8.8" rear end 3:73 w/locker.with the s10 conversion headers,

How will all this work out for me, it isnt together yet ....but i planned to use it all together and see what i can come up with for some 1/4 mile times, . i will also run some 26x8x15" slicks in the rear, when racing.

what do you all think, what issues do u see i will have?....too big of carb for this setup i think already... ???:welcome:

vinniekq2 03-02-2013 08:53 PM

should run some nice 14s

HunterJ 03-02-2013 08:54 PM

what about with some better, or even vortec heads?

vinniekq2 03-02-2013 09:00 PM

be specific and I can estimate better

HunterJ 03-02-2013 09:45 PM

What else do you need specifics for?...ill try my best to give more specifics?...
what would help or is hurting the combo , other than the 416 heads??

vinniekq2 03-02-2013 10:05 PM

cr and deck height, stall speed tires type and size,truck weight

and you, experience driving, experience in suspension set up.type of suspension and suspension tuning. experience tuning

1Gary 03-03-2013 10:59 PM

Humm - severely cut heads(no sonic check done on head surface thickness)run at 10.5,with pump gas on cast iron heads,with valve train geo nightmare.Time to get a second opinion...........................

vinniekq2 03-03-2013 11:29 PM

How about an isky Z-25 cam,used single plane,750 cfm carb like a 4779,9.7CR,with GM cast iron heads( they almost all flow 215 plus cfm) 1 5/8 headers,MSD type ignition,4.56 gears giving 120 mph top speed with 29 inch tires

1Gary 03-04-2013 05:11 AM

How about it guys??. Now sonic checks don't work:rolleyes:.I do think a second opinion is in order here........

vinniekq2 03-04-2013 10:30 AM

testing

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Gary (Post 1653229)
How about it guys??. Now sonic checks don't work:rolleyes:.I do think a second opinion is in order here........

for a customer I always do w/e tests need to be done
sonic/pressure/hardness/clearance
my machinists are not rich,the good ones,like I use, do very very good work and they do it for close to the same price as the shortcut machinists. The good machinists are in business and have to compete,what saves them is repeat business.
do you have to test things? depends I guess on your luck and reputation.
can I build a cheap 12 second car?define cheap
can I build you a cheap 12 second car? no

bygddy 03-04-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

He didnt say they don't work, he said you wouldn't see anything....they don't crack often....they key word was budget......in BOLD ......therefore if they are stock 4v pistons, likely 12cc dish, use felpro 1094, and after unshrouding for 194's you hopefully will be right around 61cc's. I just did set for a friend last month and he actually took the time to CC them, ranged from 60 to one just a hair over 61. Should put your comp just shy of 10.1, like 9.8 Ish......if your porting job was good, it will breathe enough to use your cam choice, and with lots of gear and converter will run like a rpd ape.....will it go 12's? Who knows....could pretty easily.....and it will be a blast, for very little money. And not be a grenade......there's another opinion......;)

bygddy 03-04-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1653199)
How about an isky Z-25 cam,used single plane,750 cfm carb like a 4779,9.7CR,with GM cast iron heads( they almost all flow 215 plus cfm) 1 5/8 headers,MSD type ignition,4.56 gears giving 120 mph top speed with 29 inch tires

This sounds like big stupid fun for sure.....and dirt cheap.....

1Gary 03-05-2013 04:49 AM

We had one of those heads shaved that low and cut it open.I got throw out.Sooooooooooo it ant going to happen tomorrow,but I will show to all once again why Not!!!

Surface to say there are reasons why the aftermarket heads have thicker head surfaces.

And it is foolish to think stock OEM castings and the QC that come along with that are that uniform that you can just hack away at all of them without checking them first.

For people like me,I have gone threw doors long ago in the course of DIY to answers to questions like this.I have been apart of hot rodding history as well grow up in it's engineering evolution to current status.So your "attempt" of slander is meaningless..........................

1Gary 03-05-2013 05:23 AM

I almost forgot.From the suggestions I have read from your posts like build a compression level a full point beyond what is recognized as a safe limit and compensate by retarding the ignition timing is akin to a dog chasing it's tail.Add compression and then can't utilize it retarding the ignition timing. Or then locking out timing because a well set up dizzy can't be trusted.Or pump gas is all uniform.Or for that matter that the gas state side is the same as in Canada. Or the well documented fact that from one gas brand to another or for that matter the same brand name gas in the same township is all the same.Or that a person between two forums having just short of 20,000 posts can find any time at all to build anything at all,which is illogical.

Lastly.We have proven time and again you can have Performance And Reliability without trial and error high risk moves that most of what your suggestions involve.

TimoFinn 03-05-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

I was not going to ask, and not trying to be smart ***, but will ask anyway, did you comment only to get to argue with fbird or is this going to help op in his build?

Why is it time after time that if somebody want`s to use factory heads he must be stupid because they can`t work or chinesium is better?

After all there is more than one way to skin a cat, right?:D