Budget 454 rebuild w/peanut heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Budget 454 rebuild w/peanut heads

My uncle has a 454 from an 81 chevy truck (236 peanut heads) that he's wanting to rebuild for his 87 Monte Carlo SS. The plan so far is to re-use the crank, rods and heads, and purchase new pistons, cam, intake, etc...
Those heads are a limiting factor and I was wondering what kind of rpm those heads would allow?
I was thinking that a Crane cam #133941 (216*/228*, .515/.510 lift) with around 9.5:1 cr would work allright, but I am not positive. Any suggestions or advice is welcome.
Rob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2005, 04:33 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

As you know, that head is not a performance head. If you are looking to build a motor that gets decient gas mileage for a big block, and is good for a daily driver, but performance is not important this would be a use for this head. As far as your cam goes, I think it may be a little large for what the motor is going to be good at. The cam you are looking at will make a little more power than a smaller one, but overall, the motor would still not make very much hp. I think your best bet if you want to stick with those heads would be to buy a cam like the XE250H (206 212 @.050 .470 .475 lift 600-4800 RPM) along with a performer intake. This way, you would be getting the best gas mileage possible, and you will pick up some low end torque, which is where these heads will perform the best. Going with a bigger cam will probably make a little more hp, but at the loss of gas mileage, and I dont think the gain in hp would make the loss in gas mileage worth it. Another idea would be to save up for a set of rebuilt 049 or 781 heads. These are a great head to start with for more of a performance build, and a larger cam would defanetly make considerably more hp. Below is a listing of the flow numbers of your heads compared to some 049's.

Yours, peanut 236
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/41598/index7.html

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/41598/index8.html

here are some 049's for sale
http://www.racingjunk.com/exec/ca/view/384343/049-Heads.html

Good luck,
Adam
Old 03-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:

I don't think that mileage is a concern - it's just going to be a weekend cruiser/bracket racer on a tight budget. Trans will either be a TH400 or a TH350 (leaning toward the TH350 but already have a TH400), stall and gears are as yet undetermined.
Better heads are always a good idea, but did you reccommend the smaller cam based solely on mileage or because the heads don't flow enough to rev to 5k?
Old 03-22-2005, 07:06 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I recommended the smaller cam because I think that is where those heads will like to run at. I cant say for sure that the heads will or will not go to 5000 RPM, if I had to guess, I would say probably, but that would be about the max. Keep in mind that set of stock 170cc (yours are 208cc) small block vortec heads outflow the heads you are looing at, and they will only pull to around 6000 max on a small block 350. The thing is, I think you are probably talking about the difference between around 230 hp or 250 hp, but more low end torque with the smaller cam. Either way, that is not very much hp, so I was saying why not go with a little more torque and gas mileage rather than a little more hp? I think the engine is better suited for the smaller cam with those heads.

Adam

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.