budget 500hp 360sbc - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks plain toast and vimnie that's what I was looking for. And my budget is a 120 dollar paycheck every week but I do a lot of selling and trading which gives me extra cash once in a while. And that info on the motor you did would be awesome

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Thanks plain toast and vimnie that's what I was looking for. And my budget is a 120 dollar paycheck every week but I do a lot of selling and trading which gives me extra cash once in a while. And that info on the motor you did would be awesome
Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

If you want to build a motor with no car you do it. Im doing the same thing. The motors the most fun to build. Obviously you want as much power as is streetably possible so what it goes in is a moot point. Obviously youll be buying a car that will accept your motor. I cant imagine you buy a car and then as your dropping the motor in you say "ah darn it has too much HP it wont fit". Picking a time to shoot for is a bad idea because if you cant afford to go that fast then you wont. If you can afford to go faster of course you will. So you do what feels right and make all the power your wallet can handle. Guys like us are a breed of our own. To put it simply we just want to go as fast as possible.

Dont let these grumps discourage you, Stick with it kid!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kentactic For This Useful Post:
louis165 (12-07-2012), sbckillion (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbckillion View Post
not sure if that's directed towards me about the motor, if so, what info are you looking for?

as far as discouragement, this may not be the ideal way to do things but the kid is interested in some old American iron and not wanting to learn how to put a fart can and giant wing on his four door Honda, so in my mind he deserves some help.
i myself have built a motor without having a car to put it in. why? because i had a bunch of cast off race parts i didn't need for anything else and a little spare time in the shop. eventually it went into a car and runs great. ideal? no. but if you plan that it will likely be going into a car that is 3500-4000 lbs (a whole lot of gm cars fit in that category) he'll be fine.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 PM

If this is a contest to see if we can put together a 500 hp/360 inch mouse? Ill throw in a recipe.Need some idea for a budget?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
If this is a contest to see if we can put together a 500 hp/360 inch mouse? Ill throw in a recipe.Need some idea for a budget?
I think its more like he thinks he can make 500hp on his budget. Im sure hed be building a 1000hp motor if he thought his budget could handle it. Forget about the number in question. Hes just looking for a flight plan to follow to make as much HP as possible on 125 bucks a week. I bassically had the same type post not too long ago. You guys helped me. Yes it was like pulling teeth for info from time to time but i am a lot better off now. Im very grsteful for the help i get on here and will continue with my questions without a doubt.

If it helps lets pretend he has just entered a motor dyno competition. he has 1 year to build the most streetable power he can. aaaand GO!

Last edited by kentactic; 12-07-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:02 AM

Last photo:

First thing you should do is go check out some the Horsepower books, on Amazon, Ebay and your library.
How to Build Big-Inch Chevy Small Blocks (S-A Design): Graham Hansen: 9781934709665: Amazon.com: Books How to Build Big-Inch Chevy Small Blocks (S-A Design): Graham Hansen: 9781934709665: Amazon.com: Books
How to Build Max Perf Chevy Small-Blocks on a Budget (Performance How-To): David Vizard: 9781932494846: Amazon.com: Books How to Build Max Perf Chevy Small-Blocks on a Budget (Performance How-To): David Vizard: 9781932494846: Amazon.com: Books
Small-Block Chevy Performance 1955-1996: John Baechtel: 9781934709801: Amazon.com: Books Small-Block Chevy Performance 1955-1996: John Baechtel: 9781934709801: Amazon.com: Books

anyway there is a bunch of these books, just note camshaft, head and intake information may be dated. Heads are where you make your HP, and good heads cost lots of money. The "cheap rout" would be to go with vortec heads, you can make about 450hp with them. Spray with a 100 shot of nitrous for 550hp.

Bang for the buck parts, scat forged crank and rods, probe forged pistons. Just remember you don't need to use any of the parts you have! You can probably sell them off, buy a junk yard big block and be way ahead of the game in terms of power and money. Last summer my local pick N pull had a complete 496 chevy for $950 with a 90 day guarantee.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Buy a $300 used 5.3L, get a $150 cam regrind, and a $75 set of valve springs, a used $100 intake, and port and mill the heads and swap your gaskets ($125 gasket kit). Run it with a retuned factory ecm or megasquirt ($400).

You can get damn close to 500hp and for less than a third of what it will cost to build that sbc.

Or just slap a turbo on a stock 5.3L and you're done.

Don't forget though- it may or may not easily fit into whatever car you decide on getting.

You're putting the cart miles before the horse on this one, but no one seems to care as its not their money. Properly done you can make almost any car fast- BUT a sbc only fits in a very few of them.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Old & Furious

Sounds like your on the right track dispite the crappy advice you have gotten.

Flat tops that arent marked are usally good ones not cheap ones. All cheap rebuilder pistons are marked under the skirt or head of the piston.

Can you show us a picture of the piston heads. So i can see what the four valve reliefs look like. Maybe able to figure your compression ratio.

Since you dont have cr numbers your not getting the correct info needed to proceed. With good compression and no other big problems you have the parts to build a 400 hp combo. Just stab in a comp cam 294s solid flat cam and lifters. This will get you at 400 range and 100 shot of n2o and your at your goal.

To make 500hp with out turbos or nos you will need to spend a lot more cash. Also its a lot easier if your running e85 or race gas. Snce 11:1 compression is needed for a flat 500 with only 360 cubes. This will also need aluminum heads and high rpm rotating assembly. You can get 400 out of most junk yard short blocks but 500 is a hard number to hit when the budget is tight.

Also no reason your 400 hp combo wont take a 200 shot of juice. And put you into the 600 range. But since you dont have a car i would go for the 400 combo then tweak things up once its in the car and runing at the track.

Most fast cars at the drag strip ran a 14 on day one. Then worked with tuning and tweaking until they cpuld push then kicking and screaming into the 10s or 9s whatever the owner can get out of his combo.

Fox body mustangs are fast at the track and dont require a massize amount of suspension updates but will still need some work as any car will to run a fast number. Plus it drives ford guys nuts to see a mustang running good with a chevy motor.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Old & Furious

Start here for figuring your cr.

United Engine & Machine Co. Incorporated

Stock deck hieght is .025 cut down decks are usally .010

Gasket is .041 compressed and 4.1 bore you can also get a smaller one to increase compression.

5.7 rod legth and 3.48 stroke.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:27 AM

RE: AP72 s post?
Ive considered doing this type of engine myself,what I would like is specifics?

regrind the cam to what specs? mill how much off the heads?
what exact intake? port what part of the heads and what would they flow after porting? Where do you get the ECM reprogrammed exactly? Which 5.3 is the best to start with?

Not any 5.3s where I live for $300.oo,closer to a "G" note.

If I turbo charged a 5.3,what size turbos? N.A> 5.3 I see as an easy 380 plus HP,just not sure where the rest comes from
Old 12-08-2012, 09:20 AM

Last photo:

Properly done you can make almost any car fast- BUT a sbc only fits in a very few of them.[/QUOTE]

In my experience you can put a SBC in almost anything.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:26 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
RE: AP72 s post?
Ive considered doing this type of engine myself,what I would like is specifics?

regrind the cam to what specs? mill how much off the heads?
what exact intake? port what part of the heads and what would they flow after porting? Where do you get the ECM reprogrammed exactly? Which 5.3 is the best to start with?

Not any 5.3s where I live for $300.oo,closer to a "G" note.

If I turbo charged a 5.3,what size turbos? N.A> 5.3 I see as an easy 380 plus HP,just not sure where the rest comes from
Mike Jones can regrind your cam, to about 215/220 I believe which is actually adequate for a 5.3L (though pretty small for an sbc), mill at least .030" off the heads, more than that and you may have to finagle the LS1 or LS6 intake a little to fit. The heads depend a LOT on each person but 270's on the intake is not too much to expect with stock valves. You can do th ECM yourself if you have the correct tuner (I prefer MS though), and the best one is the 5.3L HO with the aluminum block and flat top pistons.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcelica View Post
Properly done you can make almost any car fast- BUT a sbc only fits in a very few of them.
In my experience you can put a SBC in almost anything.[/QUOTE]

Consider you're talking to a highschool kid who doesn't even have his first car yet...

Also consider that getting a 4 banger import car into the 10's is NOT that uncommon any more, and finding even a clean '80s G body for an SBC race car is not as cheap or easy as it once was.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

You make several excellent points AP72.......Im just sayin

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.