budget 500hp 360sbc - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
RE: AP72 s post?
Ive considered doing this type of engine myself,what I would like is specifics?

regrind the cam to what specs? mill how much off the heads?
what exact intake? port what part of the heads and what would they flow after porting? Where do you get the ECM reprogrammed exactly? Which 5.3 is the best to start with?

Not any 5.3s where I live for $300.oo,closer to a "G" note.

If I turbo charged a 5.3,what size turbos? N.A> 5.3 I see as an easy 380 plus HP,just not sure where the rest comes from
Those are all legit questions. Usally porting ls heads will F them up. Im sure you could handle it vinnie but its probably only good for 15 hp. Basic clean up with only sanding using flapper will make them flow better than any other work knifing the guides will make them flow wrong the shape is very good with small chnages from side to side of the guides do not even them up it will run like crap. Just a basic sand off casting marks. Since they are so good from the factory most ppl dont bother porting at all.

Turbos will surely do the job. But if your building a custom turbo kit you will need to design a proper system for that power level. The t3/t4 with S 60 trim i have would support 600hp but it is matched up for my 1.6 honda with the over sized turbo you can make more power wothout having to worry about bad air. For msost v8 builds two t3/t4 garrets with the open exhaust and external waste gates work the best. Will support 1200 hp by air flow numbers but is well within the range of 600 hp. Dont worry about lag thats a myth that only effects poory designed factory engines with 7:1 compression and under sized cold side turbos. With 9:1 compression and about 10 pounds of boost it will be spinning the tires before the boost kicks in. Then will really start to fry them. But thats another thread in its self.

I am willing to buy any 300 dollar LS motors. An entire truck load of them would be even better.

You can buy good cams in oem and aftermarket parts stores.

Factory ECM is not cheap to retune or purchase unless you cna get an entire swap kit because the sensors and wiring harness is a lot of money and time to make up from scratch. Buying the entire swap is the only way to go efi with LS motor.

I actually would love to learn a little more about the LS swaps with factory ecu and LS 6.0 not the little baby motor. The 6.0 will turn 7k without scrapping its self sounds like a crap load of potential to me. But dont want to drag this thread down with it. Since there is so much too the swaps. Especially if all you have is a long block. With a long block you still only have 25% of the stuff you need to install and drive.

I still would be happier with a 010 block and dart heads. Its not like he is sarting out with nothing here. Its at least a good start to a powerful build up.

Sorry about the book...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Those are all legit questions. Usally porting ls heads will F them up. Im sure you could handle it vinnie but its probably only good for 15 hp. Basic clean up with only sanding using flapper will make them flow better than any other work knifing the guides will make them flow wrong the shape is very good with small chnages from side to side of the guides do not even them up it will run like crap. Just a basic sand off casting marks. Since they are so good from the factory most ppl dont bother porting at all.

Turbos will surely do the job. But if your building a custom turbo kit you will need to design a proper system for that power level. The t3/t4 with S 60 trim i have would support 600hp but it is matched up for my 1.6 honda with the over sized turbo you can make more power wothout having to worry about bad air. For msost v8 builds two t3/t4 garrets with the open exhaust and external waste gates work the best. Will support 1200 hp by air flow numbers but is well within the range of 600 hp. Dont worry about lag thats a myth that only effects poory designed factory engines with 7:1 compression and under sized cold side turbos. With 9:1 compression and about 10 pounds of boost it will be spinning the tires before the boost kicks in. Then will really start to fry them. But thats another thread in its self.

I am willing to buy any 300 dollar LS motors. An entire truck load of them would be even better.

You can buy good cams in oem and aftermarket parts stores.

Factory ECM is not cheap to retune or purchase unless you cna get an entire swap kit because the sensors and wiring harness is a lot of money and time to make up from scratch. Buying the entire swap is the only way to go efi with LS motor.

I actually would love to learn a little more about the LS swaps with factory ecu and LS 6.0 not the little baby motor. The 6.0 will turn 7k without scrapping its self sounds like a crap load of potential to me. But dont want to drag this thread down with it. Since there is so much too the swaps. Especially if all you have is a long block. With a long block you still only have 25% of the stuff you need to install and drive.

I still would be happier with a 010 block and dart heads. Its not like he is sarting out with nothing here. Its at least a good start to a powerful build up.

Sorry about the book...
5.3L heads are not any different than any other heads, the same principals apply. You can screw them up, but you can also make significant improvements as long as you're not an idiot. Luckily I haven't been stuck on sbc's my whole life (as a lot of people have been) and I have seen that when it all comes down to it, the principles are the same for any 4 cycle IC engine.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:33 AM

Before you spend 1 dime on this you need to make yourself buddies with someone that has all the measuring tools and has some experience rebuilding engines. You already told us that you got taken when you bought this motor. You need to measure the block and piston to see if they are still usable with each other. Just because you maybe able to see crosshatching in the bores half way down doesn't mean that there isnt so much taper in the bores that the block is unusable, maybe it is. This isn't something that can be deternimed by pictures. The skirts of the pistons may fit well but the ring grooves could be worn out.
If these parts are in usable shape this could be a great first engine to rebuild but just getting yourself the tools a place to do it maybe beyond your means. If with the help of buddies or school auto shop project can learn to inspect and rebuild this correctly it can be a valueable learning step. A correctly rebuild sbc usually can be sold quickly if you end up with a car that can not use it. For a first engine you should probably stick with a basic stock rebuild with a mild hyd cam and horse trade your victor intake for a nice dual plane plus some cash.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
5.3L heads are not any different than any other heads, the same principals apply. You can screw them up, but you can also make significant improvements as long as you're not an idiot. Luckily I haven't been stuck on sbc's my whole life (as a lot of people have been) and I have seen that when it all comes down to it, the principles are the same for any 4 cycle IC engine.
With LS heads its a straight square port right onto the valve. Not much to clean up and they are the right size. With gen one heads you had air going around the corner and down the valve there is a lot of room to clean things up. LS heads really dont have any areas where you can just cut some metal out and make more power. Actually hold a set in your hands and tell me where you will pick up more than 15 hp from port work.

Yes all 4 strokes work the same but not all engines fall short in the same areas. LS motors have great short ports. But some people will try to do the same thing to every engine with out actually doing any math to find out where more hp will come from. Sounds to me like you have not taken and ls motor apart or even seen pictures of one.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 PM

Aside from all the negative responses, THANK you guys for the helpful info. And hccompton thanks to you for the helpful advice. I will try to post some pics. Like one of the guys said I'm interested in some old american iron, and I'm just looking for a flight plan. Last thing I want to do is save up for 6 months buy some highs performance parts that sound like they'd be good and slap the motor together getting resulting a SBC that doesn't run worth sh**.

Like one of you said I need to invest in some tools, I have some mics and calipers at home, but I've been looking at some other "blueprinting" tools. If all else fails I have a 2 year certificate in machining and welding each. So I'm sure my teachers would be more than happy to lend me some precision instruments.

Plain toast do you have the info on the 513hp sbc?

I'm replying off of my phone so its difficult to go back and reply to each post. I'm trying my best to reply though.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbckillion View Post
Aside from all the negative responses, THANK you guys for the helpful info. And hccompton thanks to you for the helpful advice. I will try to post some pics. Like one of the guys said I'm interested in some old american iron, and I'm just looking for a flight plan. Last thing I want to do is save up for 6 months buy some highs performance parts that sound like they'd be good and slap the motor together getting resulting a SBC that doesn't run worth sh**.

Like one of you said I need to invest in some tools, I have some mics and calipers at home, but I've been looking at some other "blueprinting" tools. If all else fails I have a 2 year certificate in machining and welding each. So I'm sure my teachers would be more than happy to lend me some precision instruments.

I'm replying off of my phone so its difficult to go back and reply to each post. I'm trying my best to reply though.
the specifics i have filed away at the shop but most of it i remember.
basics are .030" over 350 block, scat crank and i beam rods, floated pin.
5.7" rod length, i prefer to not run oil ring spacers given the choice.
mahle forged pistons, flat top two valve relief with 1.5 ring pack.
heads were afr 195 heads, untouched and bolted on. 10.2:1 compression.
cam was an erson solid flat tappet, i believe 246 duration.
roller rockers, vic Jr intake.
a pretty simple, basic engine really built with decent quality parts, nothing exotic.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:05 PM

Old 12-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Sorry guys don't know why it keeps posting the same reply.
I have a question I've been wondering... I see all these 355sbc builds online but no 360sbc builds, so if I were to use a 355 build sheet as a guide, what would the results look like?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:41 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
I have a question I've been wondering... I see all these 355sbc builds online but no 360sbc builds, so if I were to use a 355 build sheet as a guide, what would the results look like?
pretty much the exact same. 5ci ain't going to make a lot of difference.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Old & Furious

Everytime you use the word blueprinting out loud while building an engine you loose 5 hp off your final dyno results. LOL

I think the guy david vizzard specializes in cheap small block builds and has several combos that can be found on the net or in his books.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
It will be the same for all practical purposes. It is safe to use the 350-360 build combos. 355 usally refers to the fisrt over bore so its safe to assume its the same for all bores in the same engine.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like you need a 350 hp 350 with a 150 shot of NO2.

350 + 150 = 500 hp. -just in case math wasn't your fav subject.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Old & Furious

Here is one of vizzards books covers a 600 small block for cheap. Maybe you can find in pdf.
SA Books SAB57 : How to Build Max Performance SB Chevys On a Budget - By David Vizard

This also cover the technical math and general performance tech for all 4strokes. This is the standard book when your talking engine math and real hp upgrades but not that easy to understand or needed with sbc since its already been done. But really helps i you need to answer question about if something will perform the way you need it to. I have seen this book online as pdf.

Amazon.com: Four-Stroke Performance Tuning: Fourth edition (9780857331250): A Graham Bell: Books Amazon.com: Four-Stroke Performance Tuning: Fourth edition (9780857331250): A Graham Bell: Books
Old 12-08-2012, 06:15 PM

Thanks Compton, I may just have to buy the max perf. Book looks very helpful
Old 12-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Thanks Compton, I may just have to buy the max perf. Book looks very helpful
The internet loves the guy! But his stuff does seem to make since and nothing is impossible or irresponsible.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.