budget 500hp 360sbc - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

dart heads tend to run higher combustion chamber wise than advertised. so assuming that's the case with those heads, even with a light milling, they are probably near 70cc. a typical 5cc valve relief piston and zero decked block with a typical gasket would put you more in the 10:1 range, not sure where you are getting 12:1 unless planning to run a dome.
that said, and knowing what the heads are and experience and budget constraints, here's what i would recommend.
forget 500 hp. like i mentioned early on, most people have no idea what they really have and if you build for 400 you will be ahead of what most make.
as mentioned earlier, find a set of speed pro forged pistons, find some with the 2 valve reliefs as the four relief are pretty shy on relief depth for serious cams.
scat 9000 series crank and a set of i beam rods will make a durable bottom end that you could later upgrade or throw nitrous at.
solid flat tappet cams aren't worthy of bragging rights much any more but the performance is good still and pretty cheap. same with solid lifters vs. high end hydraulic lifters.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Old & Furious

I think the heads you got are fine you will want to cc them to make sure your compression is high enough to make the power.

That being said you may be held back to 400 hp with those heads. To make a straight 500 hpuppies. Here is a set of heads that will do the job of hitting 500 mark. If you got the bucks if not build what you got it will not be flat you will be damn happy with 400 and some options for the future. Here is a link to dart pro 1 that will run the number think about the 210 or 215 cc intake heads fully assembled for high rpm engine are about 900 each. In your postion i would not buy these but they are the right ones for the job.

Pro1 Small Block Chevy Cylinder Heads - Small Block Chevy Aluminum Heads - Cylinder Heads

Do you want to sell the cast pistons? Or heads for that matter. If unused i would interested in both. Wait until you are ready dont sell off too soon of course, i will still be here.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
I think the heads you got are fine you will want to cc them to make sure your compression is high enough to make the power.

That being said you may be held back to 400 hp with those heads. To make a straight 500 hpuppies. Here is a set of heads that will do the job of hitting 500 mark. If you got the bucks if not build what you got it will not be flat you will be damn happy with 400 and some options for the future. Here is a link to dart pro 1 that will run the number think about the 210 or 215 cc intake heads fully assembled for high rpm engine are about 900 each. In your postion i would not buy these but they are the right ones for the job.

Pro1 Small Block Chevy Cylinder Heads - Small Block Chevy Aluminum Heads - Cylinder Heads

Do you want to sell the cast pistons? Or heads for that matter. If unused i would interested in both. Wait until you are ready dont sell off too soon of course, i will still be here.
I just got done cc' one chamber and it was around 70. I know I should have done all 8 but only had time for one. That is a little bit of alcohol came out of the too of glass, so rough est. Would be 70cc's.

And yes I would sell heads, rods, and pistons, maybe trade a combo of those parts for some aluminum heads. Or some parts that would do me good. I just don't want to be stuck without anything.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I do have a PONCHO 400 sittin right beside the SBC. it also needs rebuilt
Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbckillion View Post
I just got done cc' one chamber and it was around 70. I know I should have done all 8 but only had time for one. That is a little bit of alcohol came out of the too of glass, so rough est. Would be 70cc's.

And yes I would sell heads, rods, and pistons, maybe trade a combo of those parts for some aluminum heads. Or some parts that would do me good. I just don't want to be stuck without anything.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I do have a PONCHO 400 sittin right beside the SBC. it also needs rebuilt
I got a 455 crank in need of a 400 any where near md?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I got a 455 crank in need of a 400 any where near md?
Southern IND. :/

every time i walk out to the garage that poncho yells my name lol it
and i may be interested in that crank.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Sounded more like he wants your block... in any event not to be a buzz kill, you'll be better off taking this to PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Old & Furious

block is too heavy to ship let me get the crank out and see if its any good been wrapped up for a few years. I like pontiacs but they cost too much for me. I would rather go small chevy for most apps.

PM me for more info thanks.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
block is too heavy to ship let me get the crank out and see if its any good been wrapped up for a few years. I like pontiacs but they cost too much for me. I would rather go small chevy for most apps.

PM me for more info thanks.
The cost is the reason I'm building the SBC and not the pontiac.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.