budget 500hp 360sbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

budget 500hp 360sbc

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I'm in the middle of building a 360 SBC . My goal is 500 HP but there's one problem.... I'm on highschool part time job budget.

So far I have the stronger 010 block bored .60, victor Jr. Intake, dart iron eagle ss heads, flattop 4 valve relief pistons and can't find any markings on them I think they are off brand, stock rods and stock crank that has been turned 10 thousandths under.

I just need help with the right parts combo but I can't break my wallet. :/

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbckillion View Post
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I'm in the middle of building a 360 SBC . My goal is 500 HP but there's one problem.... I'm on highschool part time job budget.

So far I have the stronger 010 block bored .60, victor Jr. Intake, dart iron eagle ss heads, flattop 4 valve relief pistons and can't find any markings on them I think they are off brand, stock rods and stock crank that has been turned 10 thousandths under.

I just need help with the right parts combo but I can't break my wallet. :/
If you're in hs with no budget you better knock about 100hp off your goals.

You forgot about building a car that can take 500hp too- that's not free.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 PM

when you find out the CR,then pick the camshaft.To make more power on a budget(no guarantees how long it will last)you will need a bigger solid lifter camshaft,750 or better double pumper carb,good headers with 1 3/4 primaries,full floating pins,precision balance.

what AP72 said is something to consider,a car that works well with big power. Transmission and diff strong enough for said power.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

You also didn't state your car, depending on what you have its often cheaper to lose weight than it is to gain power.

A 400hp 2500 pound car is a faster and handles better than a 500hp 3500 pound car.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:08 PM

Camshaft was last thing I was gonna do. I have a few months till I graduate, but for now I don't have a place to build a car. I'm thinking of 65 or 66 nova II, 80's style square body camaro or last resort s10. I figured I'd build the motor for now...gives me something to do and stay out of trouble lol. I know if I buy cheap parts, it ain't gonna last long at all. I was told the motor had 12:1 CR but I was also told it had je pistons, h beam rods, and eagle stroker crank.

I guess my main question is, is it possible to get 500hp with the eagle ss heads? Or would I be better off with finding some used aluminum heads. Also what are the best pistons, rods, rocker arms, etc that I will get the most bang for my buck. I realize I might not get this thing built soon, but I'd like to know what parts I need and how much I need to to start saving.

I'm sure I'm leaving much needed info out, just ask and I'll try to give ya the best answe
The Following User Says Thank You to sbckillion For This Useful Post:
stea (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

what do you have and what do you not have?

I'm not sure if you have an engine or not, or what parts, you mentioned a lot of different things but weren't too clear.

If you don't have one, DON'T BUY ONE YET.

As someone who has built an engine waiting for a car its about the dumbest thing you can do. Get your car first, working on that will keep you out of trouble.

Then build the engine that best suits the car, its really the only way to do it right. If you end up buying an older WRX or something like that then an sbc will be absolutely useless to you.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:54 PM

This is what I have

350 block .60 over
Stock connecting rods
Flat top 4 valve relief pistons (I'm pretty sire they're off brand)
Edelbrock victor Jr. Intake
Dart iron eagle ss heads
Stock 350 crank turned ten thousandths under
Old 12-07-2012, 04:59 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

What is your primary goal? Depending on what you want you're likely best off selling what you have.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:06 PM

Primary goal is to build a street/strip 500 HP motor, not breaking the bank, but yet still use parts that will hold up. Even if it takes some time saving up. Hell, may take a year until its done. My goal is 500hp and gonna try as hard as I can but if I don't hit the mark its not a heartbreaker.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:28 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbckillion View Post
Primary goal is to build a street/strip 500 HP motor, not breaking the bank, but yet still use parts that will hold up. Even if it takes some time saving up. Hell, may take a year until its done. My goal is 500hp and gonna try as hard as I can but if I don't hit the mark its not a heartbreaker.
So after you build an engine that makes 500hp what are you going to do? Just put a piece of glass on it and use it as a table?

Unless you're entering a dyno competition a power goal seems a little short sighted, especially when you don't have a car yet.

So try to think a bit further and ask yourself again, what is your primary goal?

10 second time slip, 170mph top speed, autocross record, dirt track, etc.

If your goal really is just to build an engine and let it sit after you dyno it then that seems EXTREMELY boring.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 PM

I get what your saying, I think its dumb to build a motor and not have a car. But I don't have a choice right now parents won't let me and I have no space to put one. My local strip is an
1/8th mile,I guess a 9 second car would be quick? I'm just trying learn that's why I'm asking all these questions. Everybody has goals and 400hp would be alright but my goal is 500. I'd like to get some opinions on combos for the motor I have. Or is it even possible with my iron eagles's?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

you're missing the point. You think building a sbc on the edge to make 500hp will get you a fast car, and that may or may not be the case.

You need to have a definite goal and a definite plat form. You could end up picking up a cheap SRT4 and can be going really fast but have no use for an sbc.

buying an engine without a car was a dumb move, sell what you have, cut your losses, and learn from your mistake. Then either save up for a car or talk to your folks or do whatever you can to get a car. the most important ingredient in a fast car is THE CAR. That usually decides wht platform you will build, what power goals you may have, and everything else that goes into a build.

Also for 500hp on a budget you're going in the wrong direction. Slappin a reground cam and a 100 shot of nitrous in a STOCK 5.3L is far cheaper, more reliable, and easier.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 PM

to know how much horse power your heads can produce,you need to flow test them.

Go buy a Camaro or GTO with a 400 HP LS-2,buy a cold air package,headers,chip the car,do the intake,all after you buy and race the car.They run high 12s very easily.
If you want to build that block,get a car first,get it ready for the engine by enhancing the power train and suspension,,,,,first.
It only takes a couple weeks to build an engine,why store an engine?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 PM

I'll see if i can be of some help without all the discouragement.
1st you do need to decide what its for, in order to formulate a way to get there.
if you just want to do it to say you did, more power to you.
you don't say what budget is exactly. i have customers that consider $12,000 a budget motor and others that think $2000 is really expensive.
no matter what its for or what the budget is though, at best, your stock rods and stock crank are on borrowed time. i know you've talked to people that claim they have xxx horsepower and run that stuff but the fact is, they probably never dynoed a motor in their lives and are basing that number on some pie in the sky "dyno sim" which are usually wildly inaccurate.
just for reference, ill give you some info on a street motor i did for a customer that dynoed 513 hp.
afr aluminum cylinder heads, mahle forged pistons, scat crank and rods, solid cam, and it was a 383. 10.2:1 compression running pump gas. customers bill, without induction system or ignition, headers or any bolt ons was about 8k.
now that said, you may want to consider a more conservative goal. the rods, pistons and crank you have simply aren't up to the task.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

"discouragement" as you call it is nothing more than a reality check. He needs to know the cold hard facts ESPECIALLY when he doesn't have much money.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.