Hot Rod Forum banner

budget build SBC

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  68NovaSS 
#1 ·
So i just turned 16 and my dad and i was planing on doing a budget build for my 89 short bed chevy(single cab). i don't really care about speed as long as it will do 100mph i just want torque mainly. Right now all i got done to my 350 is hooker long tube headers, stage 2 shift kit(700r tranny), and 373 gears(posi). But we are on a $2000 budget. As of right now this is what I'm planning on doing to this:
Pro Comp 190 heads
Professional Products Intake
Holly carb.(don't know witch one yet though
Comp Cam XR282HR (maybe put a bigger cam though)
Summit Racing Pushrods 7.4"

but i was want to know what you guys think i should do because i want it as like a hotrod truck. (by the way i don't care about gas)

#2 ·
Isn't your truck TBI? If so just get a bigblock TBI unit, port and polish it, and wire in an MS unit- it'll save you a lot of trouble and gas down the road. Pushrods cant be bought until you have the cam and heads on so you can measure for the correct length, each application is different. You need a SMALLER cam if you want a lot of torque.

I would get the heads, get a used RPM intake, a used bigblock TBI, a good SMALLER roller cam, megasquirt, and a flat top piston rebuild kit (make sure they have the correct height). By the time your done that will come to around 2 grand. If done well in that big truck you can be knocking on 20 mpg's on the highway and PLENTY of torque.

#4 ·
One of the first things is maintain 100mph, or get too as you cross the trap?

These days the people still playing are doing it dirt cheap with turbos / supercharghers and stock cams. Less than $1000 in a 450 hp build. No strokers stockish, 305's and 350's. Very street friendly reliable builds.

First hand people add 2.02 valves, headers, and cams over .450 lift . That stuff is only going to help you feel the speed after 3500rpm. Under 3500 the stall speed rating 2400-3200 is going to take up the slack. Gears like 3.73-4.10 are the ticket if you pay the penalty of higher cruise rpm. Not to worry if you have a 700r4, but repair costs and complexity for repair just multiplied by x4 .

headers are overrated. Tap a 0-15 fuel psi gauge before your muffler and find the back pressure. That determines how free flowing your exhaust is. Headers may do nothing at all.

Holleys and 268xe cams are not magic, and possibly not what you want.

#14 · (Edited)
Would you consider a 144 roots style under hood supercharger? You have the headers, gear, and overdive trans at stage 2 to back it up. I just rebuild and sold one for a little over $1200. Common to find good complete units under $1000. That is plenty left over for a cam/spring and carb purchase.

You would make a ton more torque and power than big heads and xr284.

My 85 c10 pictured has a 305 vortec 906 heads, Summit headers, and a new E force unit with performer cam. It is pretty exciting. Launches like frogs from a dynomite filled pond. 3.73 gear, dynamic 3000 stall, TH350c w RV level shift kit. .

#15 ·
exhaust/headers

what monte and AP said. Headers are probably the most important part of an engine build.Tube size and length are very important for max power or best throttle respones. The wrong headers can make your power go down and/or driveability suffer.

I had custom made step headers for my car because its special requirements needed that. In a low HP engine,small long tube headers are probably your best choice. All the parts matching is the most important part of the formula.Before buying random parts,research application and how if fits your requirements. Good luck and make sure that 100 mph pass is on a track

#17 ·
If they're stock 327 heads then he's full of bull. The miniblower is a really good idea for your application. It'll probably cause you to go over budget but it'll make a hell of a difference. Rering the short block, procomp heads, new roller cam, miniblower, and ms controlled tbi would be a low budget torque king. Finding injectors may be tricky though.

You'd be looking at enough power to destroy a transmission too...:pain:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.