Hot Rod Forum banner

The budget garage paint job begins

12K views 52 replies 14 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
Well here it goes.. digging into another car and nothing knowing what's hiding beneath lol.. Well stripped lower quarter panel and someone has put a patch panel in, and seems like they took a grinder to remove the paint on the fender.... :nono: well here's my progress so far.. has anyone had good luck with repro fenders? or should I try to fix this one? I would have to skim coat the whole lower half?

and my first new addition to the body work family.. I love this thing already

See less See more
#35 ·
Good Lord, I called the paint supply store for red metallic A-15 for a Nissan they want 350.00 a gal for crappy azzed Nason.
Dupont has apparently been sold and some rich guys have been watching DuPont screw us cross eyed for years and now theyre going to finish off and cash in on the final death blow.
Hows a kid going to afford to fix up a car these days? When I painted my first car I swear I paid 50.00 for a gal of Centari and I could barely afford THAT.
Whats amazing is I just bought 2 gallons of silver last week that was miss mixed for 60.00 and I can make just about any color with that. great for full paint jobs only.
I went to the PPG store and their crap omini A-15 red costs just a bit over 200.00 ,their omini plus (much better paint than nason and omini) costs 315.00. Omini plus is pretty good paint. probably one of the best for the low end of the scale

#51 · (Edited)
Yeah it actually was. Total cost of paint job was about $700. Now for labor...... a **** ton!

I painted the car right there in the garage, the paint was 130 a gallon (2) colors, then got spi clear which was about 250 ish. Primer cost about 80 bucks and just Bs extra materials that I needed a long the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.