Hot Rod Forum banner

The budget garage paint job begins

12K views 52 replies 14 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
Well here it goes.. digging into another car and nothing knowing what's hiding beneath lol.. Well stripped lower quarter panel and someone has put a patch panel in, and seems like they took a grinder to remove the paint on the fender.... :nono: well here's my progress so far.. has anyone had good luck with repro fenders? or should I try to fix this one? I would have to skim coat the whole lower half?

and my first new addition to the body work family.. I love this thing already

See less See more
#9 ·
Nice progress. Can I make a suggestion in regards to your welding? Try to turn the wire speed down a little. You are getting way too much excess wire buildup that you end up grinding off. You should be able to get it where you have just a little hump to level off and not a mound. I would recommend some practice on some scrap pieces to get your settings right. You don't want to get too much heat into sheet metal as it will warp easily.

Good luck and keep up the work.

#11 ·
haven't had an update lately, so I got most of my patch panels done. I'm not happy with passenger side fender - door gap. So It looks like i'll be taking apart the front end again... for the 4th time :drunk: Picked up some rims and finally making progress.. here's some pics..

just put first coat of primer on it:

#19 ·
Well got another coat on the car, but it's getting a little cold now. The paint was a little thicker from the cold than I liked. Over all looks pretty good, now I get to block the whole thing again. yay for me! Engine is coming out next week, so I can get the firewall ready

#23 ·
Keep up the good work. It looks great so far. Could you tell us what you're using for a painting set up?

You know, compressor, filters ,gun, and where are you painting the car. That is in your garage, a shop or in the driveway.

Just wondering how many cars you've painted.

454 RATTLER

#24 ·
I've painted all the other cars right there in the garage. Didn't have much ventilation other than the side door. (pretty foggy) I'm running a big ol craftsman compressor. The only problem I really have is lighting. If I paint this one in the garage I'm going to add a few more lights. As for paint guns I have a hlpv "husky" gun. About a 70$ gun.. nothing special.

All my paints and clears have been from the "restoration shop" I have had pretty good luck with everything I have bought there. This is my 6th car I have painted. All of them have came out really well. All self taught and some trial and error.

This time I might take it to my buddies paint booth (since he finally cleaned it out) I might also try the "SPI" clear as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.