Budget hotrodding dead? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2006, 08:46 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Budget hotrodding dead?

The more I read hotrod mags etc..and see ads for this kit and that kit it makes me think.
I haven't been at hotrodding long maybe 10yrs.But starting out,The budget bombs of my day were the montecarlos,regals,cutlass.I could find bodys around all day long for a couple hundred bucks.Most of which had the northeast rot in back of the rear wheels.But hey,I needed a ride,who cared!!
In the past few years I took that for granted,but recently noticed all those cars are gone now,there not evan in the junkyards no more.
Inspection has gotten stupid in NYS and you need all the smog BS and parking brake and every other stupid thing under the sun.Were as you used to be able to figure something out as long as your car looked decent and had all its lights and good brakes and nothing actually DANGEROUS.Now I can't even get my daily thru if the license plate light is out ***!! I remeber the cherry bonbs hangin off my monte that would get caught on the speed bumps at work.
My 78 monte that was my best one outta the 4-5 I owned was a 14.50 street beater with prolly under $900 total in it,befor I upped the buck for nice exhuast,tires and a "real"posi(chirp chirp around corners.)I had everybodys Junk parts that I fixed,rebuilt or combined parts to make one good whatever I needed.I even rebuilt and installed a 327 for freind in exchange for a base clear paint job outta left overs.
And not that I support street racing but there was allways a place to hang out.Were the 5.0 mustand guys and the Camaro kids were.Not no more.
Anyways I remeber my uncle telling me about the glory days of the 60s and 70s with the muscle cars and hot rods etc...I used to think I had the bottom of the barrel but not really I was like the tail end of the real hotrodders I guess.There is no RWD cars left to hotrod no V8s.Everything is an emmisions legal $2000 Kit now.You can't be a kid and take your parttime pay check get some crap headers and some cherry bombs and steal mom's coat hangers,no more.
Hell evan the stock car guys have no more montes to bang up its all those winged cars now that I see..
There really is no way I see now that a kid could make a 14second car on a low budget most smog legal exhuast cost more than I had in my motors and trannys combined.
Sucks!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by 78 monte; 06-21-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Gotta love the classics

Last photo:

you can say that again , especially when you are workin from 8-5.30 ever day and gettin paid $65 a friggen week! This is bull ****
Old 06-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolChevy
you can say that again , especially when you are workin from 8-5.30 ever day and gettin paid $65 a friggen week! This is bull ****

You need to find a different job.

Steve
Old 06-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:

Quit your job, that's not even worth it.

Quote:
The more I read hotrod mags etc..and see ads for this kit and that kit it makes me think.
I haven't been at hotrodding long maybe 10yrs.But starting out,The budget bombs of my day were the montecarlos,regals,cutlass.I could find bodys around all day long for a couple hundred bucks.Most of which had the northeast rot in back of the rear wheels.But hey,I needed a ride,who cared!!
In the past few years I took that for granted,but recently noticed all those cars are gone now,there not evan in the junkyards no more.
Inspection has gotten stupid in NYS and you need all the smog BS and parking brake and every other stupid thing under the sun.Were as you used to be able to figure something out as long as your car looked decent and had all its lights and good brakes and nothing actually DANGEROUS.Now I can't even get my daily thru if the license plate light is out ***!! I remeber the cherry bonbs hangin off my monte that would get caught on the speed bumps at work.
My 78 monte that was my best one outta the 4-5 I owned was a 14.50 street beater with prolly under $900 total in it,befor I upped the buck for nice exhuast,tires and a "real"posi(chirp chirp around corners.)I had everybodys Junk parts that I fixed,rebuilt or combined parts to make one good whatever I needed.I even rebuilt and installed a 327 for freind in exchange for a base clear paint job outta left overs.
And not that I support street racing but there was allways a place to hang out.Were the 5.0 mustand guys and the Camaro kids were.Not no more.
Anyways I remeber my uncle telling me about the glory days of the 60s and 70s with the muscle cars and hot rods etc...I used to think I had the bottom of the barrel but not really I was like the tail end of the real hotrodders I guess.There is no RWD cars left to hotrod no V8s.Everything is an emmisions legal $2000 Kit now.You can't be a kid and take your parttime pay check get some crap headers and some cherry bombs and steal mom's coat hangers,no more.
Hell evan the stock car guys have no more montes to bang up its all those winged cars now that I see..
There really is no way I see now that a kid could make a 14second car on a low budget most smog legal exhuast cost more than I had in my motors and trannys combined.
Sucks!!!
Well it depends on what you want to talk about when you say "budget." If you want to build a 900 dollar car, you're going to drive around in something that looks like a 900 dollar car! There's at least a certain amount of truth to the phrase "if you want to play, you've got to pay." This is an expensive hobby... I suppose collecting stamps would be cheaper lol.

When I think budget hotrod, I think of a GM product with a big-inch small block and a decent body that has about 5-7000 dollars into it. For that much money if you've got something reliable, fast and something that looks decent you're pretty far ahead of the game. The next step up is a new sports car... to the tune of 30 grand.

K
Old 06-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Gotta love the classics

Last photo:

I was pissed as hell when I go tmy first "paycheck" I couldnt quit until now cause I am a section leader and have to go to freshmen band camp. I got paid $70 to paint a frame for a guy, more than I get in 1 week .
Old 06-21-2006, 05:11 PM
User

Last photo:

I have made exhaust hangers from coat-hangers before...

For a while there, i thought there was no nice rear-wheel drive cars left, but i just wasn't looking in the right places...

I have a few actual hot-rods now...pre-60's stuff. And New-England has alot more Ebay machines than around here...but it would help if you looked in barns, fields, and woods, if you live in a rural area. Today I went and looked at a 47' Plymouth, running condition, a little rust, one missing floor board, ratty interior, some surface rust, but over all the car wasn't that bad. Sitting in a barn. The guy asked a pretty high price for it by my standards...$2500...but hey, there isn't too many left.

There will always be Fiberglass-T's...unlimited products has the cheapest i know of. www.up22.com...

-GF
Old 06-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

Quote:
What in the hell, do you get paid a dollar an hour?? Quit, don't care about your position, get outta that job. Even McDonalds pays more than that..
Old 06-21-2006, 05:30 PM
User

Last photo:

Quote:
I was pissed as hell when I go tmy first "paycheck" I couldnt quit until now cause I am a section leader and have to go to freshmen band camp. I got paid $70 to paint a frame for a guy, more than I get in 1 week .

Yeah, marching band always seemed like a nightmare to me. I don't think I'll ever be in it, I value my summer too much...

-GF
Old 06-21-2006, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

You can thank Uncle Sam and a lot of local government for the number of older cars being crushed. Salvage Yards ahve EPA breathung down their necks constantly so this is why you don't see as many old cars in Yards anymore.

Also with the Montes and a lot of the GN Buicks as well as some of the Olds are now in the hands of collectors like those of us who belong to the MonteSS boards or NMCOA. I've been a member of the National Monte Association for three years now but I've known of the club since about 1997. But a lot of nice people belong to NMCOA.

When I was coming to driving age and even after you could build up a cool hot rod for a few hundred bucks and a decent paint job was optional.

Now days a high buck paint job is manditory. You have to have one or eveyone laughs at yor car.

We've been talking on the MonteSS site about the respect the 4th generation Montes get at car shows. People do look at my '86 LS when I take it to a show, but my '57s get more attention if I take one of them.

Women love my pink '57s. (yes, pink)
I had one woman tell me once she lost her virginity in the back seat of a BelAir Hardtop just like my pink/white car. She was like 75 years old and that was WAY more information then I needed to know.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Don't worry I'm a Professional

Last photo:

Its not even that affordability anymore. I look at my poistions, got a couple of jobs doin what i can to pull in whatever i can. Now not to bash friends, but a buddy of mine has a Porsche 944 that him and his dad are putting an LT1 in it. I also look around and see that too many kids are handed things without having to understand what its like to actually have to work for them. There is a girl in my grade that her mom and dad bought her a new honda on the spot just because she said it was "cute". Mommy and daddy give everything out and these "friends" (quoted because give'em a chance and they'll stab you in the back,I trust only a group of people family and the guys at the Dept. because my life is in their hands and theirs is in mine.) But I look at budget hotrodding dead and take it all in and have to say this hotrodding is dead for the youth in general. most are stoned, drunk or into ricers and euros. Hotrodding has been handed down to a select few kids which is evident on this site.

Now not to bash cars on my bashing spree but if you look most kids will tell you that a mustang is the coolest car in the muscle car universe. Now don't get me wrong but mustangs are cool but we all know there are other cars out there. Yeah sure mustang started the pony cars and all and is still around today. but we can all name a few alternatives that could be tuned to spec to give a stang a run for its money. Now to the tuning part mentioned earlier, there aren't a lot of kids or people willing to get their hands dirty to do work on their car or anything else for that metter. You could ask around and alot of people will tell you when its time to change the oil they take it to a garage. All together hotrodding is gone auto performance modification has given way to "bling" which to me is a total joke. This article was not written to be hurtful or discriminatory but these are my views. Some may agree with these views and some may not this was written to express my views. Sorry if feelings were hurt.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:59 AM
User

Last photo:

Yes...hot-rodding is dead for the majority of the youth. But I've wandered through weeds and brush for almost 2 years now, and I've amassed a pretty good collection of vintage cars. Some of them will never get finished or started on but I've still got a year to go till i can legally drive...

The stuff is out there, and its not as expensive as I thought it was. I started out with $100.00, and I have spent, and gained back alot more than that.

The problem with "kids" today is that it seems like nobody tries to be different, no-one likes dodge unless its a HEMI, and they probably couldn't tell you what one was anyway, other than a name plate. Its either mustangs or camaro's pretty much. No-one has hardly heard of the new GTO. Older car's are still Mustangs or First-Gen Camaros...69's especially. Even though the duke's movie brought the Charger back into the pop-culture cars for a while. Car's is kind of geared to little kids, even though that movie was awesome, it probably didn't help Hudson's popularity all that much. I'd say a majority of people probably thought it was a made up company anyway. Herbie kind of hyped up V-dubs a little, but they have always been popular (Converse Hi-Tops of cars...in my opinion). Some kids like Vans for some reason, maybe its the whole retro thing coming back...but most of them around here are either rotted out, or some kind of business vehicle.

Everyone, likes pony-cars apparently.

And ricers...ugh...any car around here with Spinner hub-caps and a aluminum JC-whitney wing on it is a big deal around here for some reason. Or it atleast gets a little attention. Fart-cans are a plus. There isn't nothing around here with actual 20-inch rims on it. The fastest ricer is a mid-14 second Dodge Stealth with about 300 pounds of fiberglass body kit on it, and a few tv's stuck in it. Twin-turbo too...and its broke down most of the time. Don't forget single fart-can exhaust.

We live in an age of glue-on, clamp-on, stick-on hotrodding. And for a while there, I really didn't like cars. I wanted a beater Cavalier or something equally as boring so I wouldn't have to worry about screwing it up. Then I threw my life-savings at a crappy 76' Dart six-cylinder, and got back into the hobby. I had big plans for the Dart too, but I wanted it too nice (Another problem, everyone wants nice-paint, nice interior, nice everything, so they will be afraid to drive and enjoy it) and I eventually sold it for about half what i gave for it. But it was fun for a while, one fendered, no hood, reverse runs on a flat-tire at WOT to move it around for better lighting...and the carb was put together with sheet-metal screws...another reason I no longer have it.

I even had one friend, buying a car from another friend of mine, for a while. 53' Plymouth 2-door coupe, nice car, needed a rocker panel, a little bit of filler, and the body was fine. The floors had been patched with rivets and pretty heavy gauge sheetmetal, and I told him he could maybe get it welded in later. It would run, start, stop, etc. and was being converted over to 12-volt. He wanted around 1000 for it, and it was worth it. There was no interior, but that burlap sack stuff rots anyway, and it itches...bad, so it was probably better off like that. He ended up not going through with the deal because he wanted a "Nice" muscle car. And i mean, the guy could have worked a month and bought the thing with cash, no "jewing" the price or anything.

People don't understand that you don't have to have a perfect car in order to enjoy it. I mean, I have rode in some nice cars, and some junk. And I have had alot more fun in the junk than the nicer ones. People still give you looks, their probably not as wowed, but there is nothing like the visual assault of half a 53' Plymouth Belvedere crusing around...

Thats really what I like so much about the "Ratrod" fad or whatever it is, and what I really wanted to build out of my 2nd car, a 90' Ford ranger with a shot body. I wanted to combine a spray-painted 50's semi-cab with the Ranger chassis to make a fenderless beater. I know it would all work now, except the fenderless part (And the radiator too far ahead of the wheels, along with the engine) but my intentions were good. And went back to me wanting a beater cavalier so i could still get out and do whatever, and never worry about the paint or the body.

Or maybe its just me wanting to go against the mainstream, but I really don't want 100 other rat-rods cropping up in my town, but i pretty much have a monopoly on the old cars around here, and i doubt anyone would think along the same lines as i do about cars. I grew my hair out...for maitenence purposes, and everyone else did, me and my friends started skate-boarding (Before the shaggy hair), and then there was a bunch of copy-cats that came out of nowhere and started skating. I stopped that too. Too hard on my knees and the whole skate "society" was getting to me. But I created a legacy though. And I pretty much consider all the skaters around here my disciples. Because in some way, atleast all of them has started skating because of me or my two other friends. We also started this before the Tony Hawk games where everywhere, we just started it out of boredom. This was a loongg time ago. About 5 years ago...Even Ac/Dc is getting too main-stream now. I remember listening to them as a little kid, and always have. And now Wal-Mart sells their shirts. I found the untitled Led Zeppelin CD in the garbage after a locker clean out, and started listening to it. Now probably one of my favorite bands. And most of the music is too screwed up for the majority of people, so I guess I'm safe there.

My girlfriend even understands my Hot-Rodding desires, and I'm glad. She wants a hearse, likes a majority of my cars, and seems to listen when I ramble on about them. And she likes vintage cars, unlike the Muscle-Car only majority of ladies.

I'm taking welding next year, so maybe after that mom and dad will turn me loose with a welder on my own, or I could drag some stuff into class and let someone else fix it for free, quality really dosn't matter, since welds have to be better than rivets or screws...

Looks like I'm done for a while...

-GF
Old 06-22-2006, 08:42 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula
Quit your job, that's not even worth it.

Well it depends on what you want to talk about when you say "budget." If you want to build a 900 dollar car, you're going to drive around in something that looks like a 900 dollar car! There's at least a certain amount of truth to the phrase "if you want to play, you've got to pay." This is an expensive hobby... I suppose collecting stamps would be cheaper lol.

When I think budget hotrod, I think of a GM product with a big-inch small block and a decent body that has about 5-7000 dollars into it. For that much money if you've got something reliable, fast and something that looks decent you're pretty far ahead of the game. The next step up is a new sports car... to the tune of 30 grand.

K
See now I'm not talking haveing a NICE car that can go on 300mi trips and run 13s,here.I'm talking about a kid getting into the hobby.When I was 15-16 I thought I needed thousands and thousands of dollars.Till I got a $300 regal with a tired 350 in it.My uncle helped me get started.Without those cars I would have given up by now and been driving a 4 door Jap car to work and never have been a hotrodder.
Now evan if a kid gets a Monte or something you can't do squat on a budget everything must be emmisions legal and that cost $$$$$$$$$.And shelling out $2500 for an older project car that still needs 1000s in work,is not in most 15-16 evan 21 year olds budgets.
Yea my montes were peaces of shat for the first few years.Every other day I'd be wiring up the exhuast or fixing the linkage or something but I had a start.Eventually I traded for paint,bought new tires with my tax money.Bought a whole duel exhuast(non emmisions and totaling $350)with new headers to replace my rotted dented ones,got gears outta an S-10 and welded the spiders(yea I know).But without those cheap bombs being around and everyone haveing one,with old rotted headers and leaky holleys to take for your car there is no start.
The hobbie turns into shelling out $3000 off the top then maxing out the master card in a Jeg's Catalog.
And as far as picking on the $900 looking cars that is the attitude that makes me park accross the street when the cars guys are hangin out.Anyone who is truely trying to have a street machine gets my respect no matter what shape its in.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Frosty
My girlfriend even understands my Hot-Rodding desires, and I'm glad. She wants a hearse, likes a majority of my cars, and seems to listen when I ramble on about them. And she likes vintage cars, unlike the Muscle-Car only majority of ladies.

-GF
Sounds like a cool girlfriend.

Check out www.cwcoach.com.

Look for hearse clubs too. We have a small one in Jacksonville Florida.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Thats no where near minimum wage...you need to report your employer to the wage and hour board.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

budget hotrodding isn't dead. my '51 Chevy is going to cost just under 3k when finished to my liking. it won't be perfect but, a nice car I can be proud of. I paid $800 for a '51 Fleetline with a decent body, had all brakes replaced and rebuilt ( also new lines and hoses ) also had the floor redone, only had to get points, condensor and a fuel pump to get it running and driving, now I'm just working on cosmetics, and paint and interior cost about 2k a outside sunvisor cost $271, I'm giving myself 1k extra for chrome and other odds and ends.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.