Budget Throttle Setup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 01:38 PM
1983 Z28

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Budget Throttle Setup

Here's another thread on one of Skip White's products. This one is for his aluminum throttle cable bracket and stainless throttle cable. I figured I would give this setup a shot, as I've had good luck with the rest of his products I've tried, not to mention it's CHEAP!

I went with the two tone red and blue bracket, however he also has a blue and polished version available at the same price.

Throttle bracket:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THROT...Q5fAccessories

Throttle cable:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24-IN...Q5fAccessories

The bracket setup retails for $27.50 plus shipping, and the cable goes for $18.50 plus shipping. Each are priced less than half of the bigger brands like Trans-dapt, Lokar, and Jegs.

My initial impression of the bracket is so/so. Fitment is perfect with my Holley Street Avenger and Weiand Stealth intake manifold. The included mini nuts are a very nice touch. Everything assembles well with the included stainless steel hardware and the bracket functions exactly as it should. This is a HUGE step up from the Spectre brand chrome steel throttle bracket I was previously running.

I was slightly disappointed with the powder coat finish on the bracket. The colors are a little off from the colors you would find on your anodized fittings. With that said I believe an anodized finish would be much better suited to this product.

However, for the price I'm not complaining in the least. The bracket does exactly as its supposed to and still looks good sitting on top of the intake.

I know many of you are wondering if the bracket is compatible with the 700R4's TV cable. The kit does not come with the proper adapter to be a direct bolt on with a 700R4, however you can easily modify it to work. I used the adapter for the stock GM throttle cable and enlarged the opening with a Dremel. This allowed for the stock style TV cable to be securely fastened to the bottom of the throttle bracket. If you plan on using your stock throttle cable and not Skip's cable (or another aftermarket cable), this solution does not apply to you.

Another option is to purchase the correct TV cable adapter from Jegs or Summit.

As far as the stainless steel throttle cable goes, it appears to be a high quality replacement for your aged, melted, or torn up stock GM cable.

One of my biggest concerns was whether or not the bracket would work with a drop base air filter. My 14x3" Holley filter fits very well with absolutely no clearance issues.

I would definitely recommend this setup to someone who wants a more attractive and secure way to harness their throttle, but can't justify the $100+ for a name brand setup.

Here's some more pictures:

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Jr., thanks for a great review!

Do you know if this will fit an Edelbrock carburator 1407 model? Summit shows different part numbers for similar brackets for Holley and Edelbrock carbs. One vendor sells a unit which allegedly fits both:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-B...Q5fAccessories

The price you found is indeed excellent.

Last edited by darom; 10-26-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

For anybody else who is interested in my question:

I called the company selling these brackets and they will not fit the Edelbrock 1407 carbs.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

Skip had a guy working with another Co. on an adapter for TV cables but, He left the Co. before anything was completed. As you said, with minor Mods it can still be adapted to work w/TV cables.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.