Budget vortec build - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 AM
erauqssidlroweht

Wiki Edits: 0

Midnight sun eh? Alaska was. Nice till I saw a mosquito stip a Kodak to the bones. The goal is 350hp with 1000 or less. I also forgot to mention the wrapped headers an flowmasters I have sitting around next to my miller welder.. Looking more and more like closer to 1000$ as I shop. Who knows, maybe the Pomona swap meet will have some good deals for me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 AM
erauqssidlroweht

Aleady have the intake carb combo I want. Just need to shop for the cam, not looking to break 6000 rpms here gents, just a nice budget platform. I can add roller lifter cam later with a good blueprint and lightweight crank etc later.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:41 PM
erauqssidlroweht

Pomona swap meet

Ok, so I'm going to the Pomona Swap Meet to seek bargains on go fast parts, maybe I can get the budget lower than projected. I still need to rebuild my holley, or buy a rebuilt one. would love to slap my predator carb on it, but I promised my buddy he could use it for his 450 horse 11/1 v-belt 350 sbc engine. I figure he could use it more than me anyway. I would love to run into another one like that one, I only paid 150$ for it. "BTW: crackheads are great people"
Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 PM
erauqssidlroweht

what to put the engine into?

ok, so the topic for today is, What vehicle to drop it into? I want to put it into the 54' plymouth savoy, or my 75 scottsdale longbed. the plymouth would be trick with a floor shifted powerglide, but the truck would be easier, and already has poly engine and tranny mounts "no fab needed for engine and tranny, as well as steering modifications" does anyone know where to get a kit for this? I think I'll wander over to the HAMB, but I'm not looking forward to being called a sacrilegious whore and boo'd off the forum.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:52 AM
erauqssidlroweht

Found a set of ported vortecs for 125 but they need studs. Will std gen 1 studs work or are they specific? I am going to use my buddies valve machine and grind them myself. What angle/s should I use? Then Lapp them in place with a drill. All done. I'm also curious on the valvetrain std gen one rockers. Pushrods etc? Or do I need a different size/spec?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
hyper pistons alone are 200 bones,,
a mast kit with rebuilder cast pistons maybe
I just bought summits kit last month, its KB hypers
2 bills
The Following User Says Thank You to bygddy For This Useful Post:
NintendoKD (03-05-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoKD View Post
Does it have to be isky? Don't get me wrong, good people, great work. I am looking at street strip/avenger cam combos, 1 because I need lifters anyway, 2 cheap setups, cheaper than buying individually. Gotta keep it in budget. Looking to stay under 126. Keep it coming.
Look at summits price on the Lunati barebones line. I haven't checked since the fall but my cam and lifters was 100$.
The Following User Says Thank You to bygddy For This Useful Post:
NintendoKD (03-05-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:38 PM
erauqssidlroweht

final pricing

got some news from the machinist today. Cyl cleared at .030 so I ordered the rebuild kit, dual roller timing set, oil pump drive shaft "for high volume pumps" cam and lifter combo got it all for 369.60. The machine work was 360 up front. that puts us at $729.60 add 250 or so for a set of heads and some rockers for the vortec heads, if it comes to that. plus $50 or so for nickel and dime and we are over the 1000 mark, but, very good price for a 350 horse setup. In fact, I don't think that there is a 350 horse combo out there that can compete with that price as a crate motor. summit has some listed for 330 hp at just shy of 3 grand: chevy performance 19210007, 8 or 9 for turnkey emgines. I have everything needed to have a turnkey engine at my fingertips.

cam was sum-k1105 298/304 466/487
moroso 22070 pump shaft
cloytes gear c-3023x
rebuild kit: sum-sbckit1-300
got the guy to givethe discounted price because it was so close to the beginning of the month. looking forward to this build.

I think I'm going to the pickn pull to find some valve covers and rockers from a low mileage vortec. go cheap, rockers are cheap to replace.

Last edited by NintendoKD; 03-04-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 PM
erauqssidlroweht

cheap crates?

CHEVY CRATE ENGINE - 350 HP - POWER-PRO ENGINES
this ones close to 3k with no turnkey and freight and core charge. I should get into this buisness. I could get used to making a grand off of each engine I build. build for 1500, sell for 2500 and undercut the competition. I get free 350 cores all day long. LOL
I think next I want to go for a super low compression 305 and turbothe ever living crap out of it.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 PM
erauqssidlroweht

thin gaskets

Just a quick question, can I use thin gaskets to get a little more compression on this engine? what 10$ a pair for shim gaskets so 20 bones for a couple of horsepower. am I getting too crazy here? I could ask the machinist to remove meat from the head surface but that is big bucks conpared to gaskets. the way I see it all other things being equal if the head gaskets are thinner there is less surface area to vent compression into other areas. right? what did 305 vortec heads come in maybe I can find and build some 305 high comp heads for cheap and clean them up myself.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:52 AM
erauqssidlroweht

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
I think wolverine and elgin are cheap names in cams

68,he said 350 ish hp and less than dirt cheap

I would buy used intake and carb for cheapo.
not a cheap cam
I tried to closely stick to what I have with stall speed in my converter with the HP target I had in mind. Balancing all that with the useable powerband I would get from the combo I'm using is quite fun in deed. I would normally agree with you, I don't like "cheap" as you tend to get what you pay for, but summit has a great return policy and excellent customer service. I'm doing a budget build so 89 buckaroonies it is. thanks though
Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 AM
erauqssidlroweht

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
Look at summits price on the Lunati barebones line. I haven't checked since the fall but my cam and lifters was 100$.
I did, looked pretty good, the magnum cam seemed pretty nice, but I ended up getting the summit special dual profile cam. I bought a mother thumpr before and the lope is kinda cool, I have to admit, but that is my fun track all out engine, this is my around town rubber roasting engine, I don't want people getting too suspicious.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 AM
erauqssidlroweht

turnkey crates

looking at crate engines online, these guys have some of the cheapest prices I have ever seen. Not only can I not believe my eyes, I have to wonder how they keep costs down. This build was cheap physically because I had stuff lying around the garage. Block, intake, harmonic balancer, flexplate, coolant neck, hoses, distributor, etc. you know, the nickel and dime stuff that adds up to make a good engine a turn key one. The prices this guy shows are outrageously low for being 350hp combos. I looked twice at this comment, and I quote: "you will not need a stall speed converter" sounds almost too good to be true
well here is the website info:
Chevy 350 - 350HP Midnight Blue Crate Engines
Old 03-10-2013, 10:42 AM
erauqssidlroweht

final stage of the build

I got the block back from the machinist, preparing for final stage of engine rebuilding. I started soaking my lifters lat night, and cleaning the pushrods, preparing for inspection. I also started installing all of the rings into the pistons. I cleaned "blue shop towels" all of the mains and installed the crank to check the final clearances for oil with plastigauge. I also taped off the block and painted the block, oil pan, and cam cover black, to match the heads, the water pump is also black.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.