buffing compound questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2003, 04:46 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

buffing compound questions

I looked in knowledge base couldn't find a answer,could someone explain the different types of "cuts" in buffing compounds and when to use them. After I've wet sanded I've used 3-m finesse-it-2 and buffed. I've seen fine cut,medium,heavy cut, I still use a standard buffer,are the orbital type good for this or just a matter of preference? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Zonk, stick with a veriable speed circular buff.

The different grades of compound are just like liquid sandpaper. Heavey cut is for really agressive cutting, for when you have alot of imperfections. Medium is of course the mid row, and of course the last is the least agressive of the three. Use according to the amount of material you need to remove/buff out and of course the amount of imperfections.

3M Perfect-it line and finesse it line are very good, but they all must be used with the according system. Compunds, glazes, and buffing pads must all be used in the correct order according to the directions of that preticular line.

For just your regular everyday paint I'd use Meguires No.7, it buff out nicely. For your new paint I'd use 3M's perfect it line with a swirl remover at the end to "perfect" your finish. Have fun!

HK
Old 06-23-2003, 06:51 AM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

Hey, Zonk- I use Griot's out of Tacoma, Washington. They have a system with a Porter-Cable buffer and grades of polish complete with a guide book. They use foam pads as opposed to the 'woolies' and the finish is super smooth. I like it much better tham Maguires, but that is my preference- I've suggested it to people in the Des Moines area that show a lot and they love it. They have three polishes from coarse to fine as HK explained- like 'liquid sandpaper'- on my initial buff I only had to use the #2 and now only #3 to finesse the paint. Hope this helps. They are on the web and have a phone number for advice and catalog (I think it is free) or pm me- but I'm only on about once a week now... maybe see ya at Americruise??
Old 06-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

thanks for the tips, nobody explained that to me before

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.