but i need to find out what kind of sand to use
and how big of a air compressor i will need as is i have
a 11 gal and a 30 gal compressor i want to know
if they will work or will i need a bigger one i want to use
the blaster on my 1953 chevy 210 so i can save some money
and do it all my self

any help let me know thanks buggmann :cool:

#2 ·
Use very fine sandblasting sand, as regular beach sand hasn't worked in any blaster I've ever been around. IIRC, it's around $3-6 a 50lb bag. Second bit, I would recommend NOT using it for sheet metal blasting as the heat generated can badly warp body panels or even "blow thru" some already rusted areas. Third, I'd make dang sure if it's a pressurized unit that the tank is in good shape and the safety related items are in good working order. Basically, use common sense while using it.

As far as air goes, pay no attention to compressor HP ratings, look towards the CFM ratings. But, be forewarned, sandblasters will hog out on air worse than any D.A. sander I've ever heard of. A buddy of mine worked in a ready-mix plant, and the industrial unit they had barely could keep up.

In a while, Chet.

#4 ·
Dang, you beat me to the edit I was going to make after seeing this thread....

He's right, and I stand corrected DO NOT use sand. Clean body panels are not worth losing your lungs. Oldred will hopefully have more info on this. But, I still do stand by my advice about not using it on body panels for the reasons I stated before-- unless those other media methods are easier on heat warp and destruction.

In a while, Chet.

#6 ·
buggmann said:
i found a sandblaster on craigslist in ga
it was 50.00 cash so i got it and will
pick it up in a day or two
but i need to find out what kind of sand to use
and how big of a air compressor i will need as is i have
a 11 gal and a 30 gal compressor i want to know
if they will work or will i need a bigger one i want to use
the blaster on my 1953 chevy 210 so i can save some money
and do it all my self

any help let me know thanks buggmann :cool:
FIRST, do a complete inspection of the blaster to determine if it's even safe to fart into.
Then:
Determine what you actually have as a compressor. Gallons have absolutely no meaning in compressed air.

Clean out the vessel completely. More time is wasted in blasting due to plugged valves from cigarett buts and chewing gum than any other problem.

Get and install a proper sized tip

Install a sufficient siameter hose between the air line and the blaster.

Fill blaster vessel with a strainer. No kidding, it helps a lot.

Place head into appropriate protective equipment

Begin blasting. 30 to 45 seconds later begin wondering why you thought this was a good idea.

You really think you're going to save money running a blaster?

#7 ·
wet blaster

I bought a wet blaster from northern tool to use with my 4000 psi presure washer we use to clean the farm equipment and concrete forms. . I ran a bucket of sand thru it to test it. IT MAKES A MESS . wet sand everywhere but NO dust. It did a pretty good job of removing rust from some scrap iron pieces. I have a 5 hp upright shop compressor , 50 gal tank and it won't keep up with the small sears 5 gallon bucket sandblaster.

#8 ·
Bucket fed blasters-
Way back in ancient times I sat in a classroom and learned of a thing called work. It's really a simple concept, convert energy into productive results.

Someplace in time since, work seems to have become a dirty 4 letter word not used in polite society.

The thing about bucket fed blasters is that much if not most of the work involved with the mechanism is wasted when it could be made productive. Since compressed air is the most expensive form of energy, I don't like wasting it, and since I'm naturally lazy I hate wasting work.

ELEVATE THE FRIGGIN BUCKET!

By placing the bucket delivering the media to the blaststream you eliminate nearly all the work involved getting the media to the tip. That's about 7¢ of every dime you spend blasting, and 6¢ of that can be converted to productive work by making a simple change to the operation.
No it didn't take NASA engineers to figure this out, they were busy consuming taxpayer dollars holding a meeting on toilet paper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.