Buick 3.8 turbo Q: - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 12:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Buick 3.8 turbo Q:

Greetings, requesting some input on a build. I am rebuilding a 1979 Buick 231 even fire V6. It has the factory carburator draw through turbo setup, Rochester carb. This will have .030 overbore, stock dished type pistons. I would like to end up with a mild engine, little more power but still drivable and reliable. Any buick Guru's with cam type/specs that would work nicely. Vehicle is a modded 40 dodge truck, T350 trans and ford 9 rear with 3:50 gears. Weight is right at 2870 LB's. Any suggestions on a cam that will work good. *On the draw through Turbocharger set up I can't run a intercooler.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

Im not here to help, lol. I couldnt recommend A cam for your 3.8l but Im curious about this thread because I was very impressed with my little 231. Finally threw a rod so im switching to 350 but I DO plan on rebuilding it for my wifes car! good little motor!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Ken Duttweiler is well known for his work in Buick's.On this one I am out of the loop.I tired to find a web site/link to him and couldn't find one.Maybe someone else will chime in with that.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

ittle thing pulled my silverado like a champ. As stated in one of my previous posts, I pulled MANY cars home with this little flat torque curved v6
Old 12-18-2012, 11:11 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studebaker View Post
Greetings, requesting some input on a build. I am rebuilding a 1979 Buick 231 even fire V6. It has the factory carburator draw through turbo setup, Rochester carb. This will have .030 overbore, stock dished type pistons. I would like to end up with a mild engine, little more power but still drivable and reliable. Any buick Guru's with cam type/specs that would work nicely. Vehicle is a modded 40 dodge truck, T350 trans and ford 9 rear with 3:50 gears. Weight is right at 2870 LB's. Any suggestions on a cam that will work good. *On the draw through Turbocharger set up I can't run a intercooler.
Do you already have the engine built? If not a later model supercharged 3800 is derived from that engine but has many updates and is a MUCH better engine to start with- not to mention you'll have factory efi so you can run an intercooler. Better heads, roller cam, stronger block, efi, etc. many reasons to go get yourself a JY core and start with that.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
Do you already have the engine built? If not a later model supercharged 3800 is derived from that engine but has many updates and is a MUCH better engine to start with- not to mention you'll have factory efi so you can run an intercooler. Better heads, roller cam, stronger block, efi, etc. many reasons to go get yourself a JY core and start with that.

ya ya send him for a fwd engine.. the 3800 in the f body was never s/c the s/c type II aand III are front drive blocks.

to the o/p I'd hit up turbobuick.com and look around/ask there..
Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
ya ya send him for a fwd engine.. the 3800 in the f body was never s/c the s/c type II aand III are front drive blocks.

The Series II/III blocks are the same for FWD and RWD. They all use the 60 degree metric bellhousing (same as the Chevy 2.8 V6 family). The 3800 SC has been swapped into MANY, MANY RWD cars with no problems. Simply use the 60 degree trans bellhousing from a 3rd or 4th gen F-body or an S-10. This is easy. The Turbo Buick crowd has even discovered the Series II motor as a nice replacement for the GN motors, again using the correct bellhousing.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:

yea...
Old 12-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
yea...
lol nice........
Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
The Series II/III blocks are the same for FWD and RWD. They all use the 60 degree metric bellhousing (same as the Chevy 2.8 V6 family). The 3800 SC has been swapped into MANY, MANY RWD cars with no problems. Simply use the 60 degree trans bellhousing from a 3rd or 4th gen F-body or an S-10. This is easy. The Turbo Buick crowd has even discovered the Series II motor as a nice replacement for the GN motors, again using the correct bellhousing.
funny I have a fwd 3800 here for my fiero, and the 231 g body 200/th350 trans doesn't bolt up
ya, if you want to change out the whole drivetrain..
Old 12-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Old & Furious

If you have a choice the grand national efi system works well and supports a lot of hp.

For cams
You may want to see what buick used in the gnx it was more hp in factory form than all the other buicks. Last year had the best cam. I think you can have this cam ground if its not off the shelf.

The gm typhoon and cyclone also have a very nice v6 turbo system. Its pretty amazing. I would save you from the carb turbo experience. You will spend twp years plaipying with it only to rip the entire system down and install a proper efi turbo setup that will make an easy 350hp. Without blowing the motor or having to adjust the carb that is boost referecenced. best to getit right the first time thru. Fyi you can also hit the 500 hp mark with a gnx and still be drivable with minor updates. That should cover the trucks life no matter how you decide to use it. Also will get alot more mpg. The carb setups are just blowing fuel at high boost levels. A carb box is a much better way to go carb. Draw thru is good for drag car and a lot of drag bikes run it. But for the street its never going to be in perfect tune. Works awesome with methonal.

Its a lot of work to go efi and turbo all at once but its the best way to go. It will start up and run in cold and hot weather and never complain when you punch it. Since its a big truck this will live in the boost. Intercooler will also make crappy pump gas give up some more boost without knocking. If you go efi one of the ford trucks has a giant intercooler that works great and should fit in front of the radiator with some new brackets.

Hope this helps
Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 PM

Buick Turbo

I wish it was the later EFI 3.8, but I'll be using what I already have. It's not a daily driver but I know with the draw through turbo, cam selection is critical. I was asking if anyone had any experience with this set up and what they used. I already have the short block ready but I was wondering if there is a mild cam that might work better than the stock setup.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post

IIRC the 2.8 the 3.1 the 3.4 are 60* v6
the 3300 &3800 are 90* v6's and not even anywhere near the 2,8 engine family..
Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
IIRC the 2.8 the 3.1 the 3.4 are 60* v6
the 3300 &3800 are 90* v6's and not even anywhere near the 2,8 engine family..
3800 blocks have the 60 V6 bellhousing pattern, 3.8l blocks have the BOP bellhousing pattern.

The supercharged 3800 is the one I was referring to as having many advantages, in fact if money is tight I'd probably just get one of these engines in good condition, adapt a turbo kit, and swap the trans or bellhousing. Down the road you can work on the heads and swap the cam.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
3800 blocks have the 60 V6 bellhousing pattern, 3.8l blocks have the BOP bellhousing pattern.

The supercharged 3800 is the one I was referring to as having many advantages, in fact if money is tight I'd probably just get one of these engines in good condition, adapt a turbo kit, and swap the trans or bellhousing. Down the road you can work on the heads and swap the cam.
so if moneys tight, you want him to think about an engine that will require him to change out his trans, driveshaft(if not use'n same trands type) and engine management system.. AND fuel system as his is a blow through carb..

sounds like the elcheapo way to me <rolls eyes>

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.