Buick 350....running rough, but seems like she wants to run - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 PM

Last journal entry: Interior
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Buick 350....running rough, but seems like she wants to run

Just picked up my new project. 67 Skylark w/ Buick 350. I bought the car assuming the motor needed to be rebuilt, however I'd like to see if I can get some more life out of it.

As of now I have changed the oil, filter, fuel filter and plugs.

It starts up great and idles fine.

Car runs very rich. Carb is a 750 Holley 4160. Probably a good idea to change to a 600cfm carb? Anyway to make the engine happy with the 750?

Ticking coming from pas. side valve cover. Maybe a lifter. It's not constant though.

It will cruise down the road ok but as soon as you give it anymore gas it hesitates and stumbles continuously.

I did verify initial timing at 12. Haven't checked anything else. Still has points distributor, although it appears to have some new parts in it. Mechanical advance weights and springs look kinda rough.

I plan to get compression readings today.

So what's next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

Just checked compression:

1-160
2-170
3-150
4-162
5-165
6-190
7-165
8-175

So with those differences sounds like the valve seals or rings are going. Can anyone recommend methods to test for both to check the condition of both?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

I also took those readings while the engine was cold. I'm not so sure it would matter with such differences in compression??
Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjack010 View Post
Just picked up my new project. 67 Skylark w/ Buick 350. I bought the car assuming the motor needed to be rebuilt, however I'd like to see if I can get some more life out of it.

As of now I have changed the oil, filter, fuel filter and plugs.

It starts up great and idles fine.

Car runs very rich. Carb is a 750 Holley 4160. Probably a good idea to change to a 600cfm carb? Anyway to make the engine happy with the 750?

Ticking coming from pas. side valve cover. Maybe a lifter. It's not constant though.

It will cruise down the road ok but as soon as you give it anymore gas it hesitates and stumbles continuously.

I did verify initial timing at 12. Haven't checked anything else. Still has points distributor, although it appears to have some new parts in it. Mechanical advance weights and springs look kinda rough.

I plan to get compression readings today.

So what's next?
Check the timing gears and chain, this engine has an appetite for these parts. If they fail it will be way more costly that timing gears and chain as the Buick will run the pistons and valves together, a mighty costly fix.

The cam gear is a nylon tooth ring molded to an aluminum hub; the nylon hardens with age and heat. It forms cracks as it gets old which spall off till the chain can jump time. A test (though not fool proof) is to jam the advance systems vacuum and centrifugal so they can't introduce any variability to the timing. Rev the engine up a couple, three thousand RPM (out of gear) then slam the throttle shut with a timing light aimed at the marks. If the timing wanders under and over the set base advance it can be a pretty good indicator that the timing set is worn which allow the cam to under and over run the crank position which will also make the spark timing wander about.

Go easy with this because if the gear is failing you don't want to put enough load on it to fail it completely.

Bogie
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

Useful info to know. Thats why I mentioned Im ignorant when it comes to buicks.

If my initial timing at idle is 12deg then it should return there during this check after returning the throttle to closed? Vacuum advance should be plugged right? What is a safe way to lockout the mechanical advance without welding or buying a kit?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjack010 View Post
Useful info to know. Thats why I mentioned Im ignorant when it comes to buicks.

If my initial timing at idle is 12deg then it should return there during this check after returning the throttle to closed? Vacuum advance should be plugged right? What is a safe way to lockout the mechanical advance without welding or buying a kit?
Disconnect the vacuum and plug the hose. Use a piece of wire to securely wrap the counter-weights to tie them down.

What you're looking for when the throttle is snapped closed is for the timing to wander about what ever the base setting you used. If it's 12 degrees then you're looking for excersions that go below say 10 to above 14. This is a test to see how well the timing gears and chain are tracking each other. The more the wear the greater will be the amount of change and it may keep wandering for 3 or 4 times as the before it settles down.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.