Buick 430 Engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 06:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Buick 430 Engine

I am currently gathering data to make a decision on a Buick 430 engine. I have visited the Team Buick website, and others sites while gathering data. The engine casting for the 430 engine is 1381625; I am still trying to locate the heads numbers. I recently found this engine at a friendís junk yard in one of his sheds. He remembered the engine and said it had not run in about 10 years. He believes it to be out of a Wildcat. I currently have a 350 Buick engine in the LeSabre. The 350 engine has been rebuilt to stock specification, but I want more power. I am trying to decide if it will be worth me rebuilding the 430 engine. I have asked some of the locals to rebuild the 350 for street performance with a little kick but most are not familiar with performance Buick engine. I appreciate them for telling me and saving me the time, energy and aggravation of getting them to do the work.
I have read everything from oil channel changes about the 430 engine to the 430 is a great engine. I want to believe that it is. I have also read the 16-20 forums on this site about Buick 430 engine. I searched the forum with
Quote:
Buick 430 Engine
and read each forum for helpful information.

I am fairly sure the tranny will mount up and I believe I will have to check to see if the radiator will need to be larger.

If I decide to have the machine shop do the engine, "Who is the Best Buick recommended engine shop between Atlanta Ga and Jacksonville Fl." that specialize in Buick engine? I am located 3 hours for each. I am also located about 2 hours from Tallahassee, Fl. I want a street performance with muscle. (No track or racing, I am too old for that) I want to finish this car for my retirement cruiser so that the wife and I can cruise.

I also want advice on the disc brake conversion for the big body Buick. Is it reliable?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

OK, bigger is always better in my opinion, so yanking out a 350 to replace it with a 430 would be a no-brainer for me. There are some things to think about though, such as the soft seats in the cylinder heads. By the time you have the heads remanufactured with hard seats and all the other work it will take to bring them up to speed, you may be better off starting off with some excellent aftermarket heads to begin with rather than settling for a set of stock cast iron factory units. Edelbrock offers an aluminum head for the 430 that would not only wake the motor up, but would take some weight off the front of the car as well....
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...in_buick.shtml
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-60049/

Just something to get the conversation started....
Old 02-18-2010, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Techinspector1

Thanks Techinspector1, the 430 is new to me and some of the machine shop I have talked to mentioned that the 430 is not a familiar engine. I viewed the website yoouu mentioned and now I need to call them. There are a few question I have: such as Does the heads comes as a performance package, by that I mean, with a specific type of cam package, pushrods, intake, and carb spec and does the bottom end have to have a specific rod length? Hopefully the online tech could help or if you are familiaar with this engine PLEASE help.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

Give www.taperformance.com a look, all they do is Buicks....and they do them VERY well, good luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

thanks 327nut

Bingo! Taperformace Has Everything From Roller Cam To Alumin Heads, Alumin Intake And Carbs, Pushrods, Cams. I Talked With The Tech And With The Right Street Combination Setup I Can Easily Get 500 Horses Without Major Modification. That All I Wanted Was To Rebuild The Engine And Pump It Up A Little. Everything Should Bolt Right On With A Few Measurement And Upgrade And Etc.. Let Hope It Works.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

No problem, TA has been around quite a while and has built some MAJOR torque monsters....but they ain't cheap as you noticed. Just remember, as good as all their stuff looks don't go hog wild on a streeter. You start pushing 500-550 lbs. ft. of torque through a stock drivetrain and POW!!!! You're going to need a strong turbo 400 with a good stall converter (not too high) and a strong rear end........have fun! LOVE Buicks, from Nailheads to the 455!!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.