buick 455 really loud clicking nosie - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

buick 455 really loud clicking nosie

hye im a kid of 18 and know somewhat about cars but not alot, but i recently pick up a 1973 buick rivera 455 buick big block. i got it on the road a mounth ago and just the otehr day its started a clicking sound while i was driving down the road and sounded like a deisel truck form inside and then my car was reving high rpm's just to go in town limit speeds, 30 mph, cuz my dash is in mph and then it was almost like a loss of power and my oil light kept flickering and then finally stayed on , got i towed to my fiends house went home started it up the other day and it was click loud i gave it a shot of gas and it went away. so i drove it home and asoon as i hit the drivway my oil light cam on and started clicking again and now i have the valve covers off i noticed that some pushrods spin and some dont and also only 2 push rods squirt oil out and one ozzes oil out and the others dont shoot oil out the top or anyhting. are they all supposed to spin and shoot oil? like i said i dont know much about motor,s just a little. i took out all the pushords out, cleaned them up and oiled everything up real good. it seems like the clicking sound is coming from the lifters. it sounds like all the lifters are clicking. i have the right amount of oil in the engine. if i give it a good rev, the sound goes away and then comes back 10 seconds l8ter.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Check your oil pressure with an accurate mechanical oil gage.
Sounds like your oil pump may be failing, so this is the first thing to check.

Have you checked the trans fluid level, if its low the trans will slip and cause the engine to rev higher to maintain speed.

Is your trans shifting thru all 3 gears, you might not have the vacuum modulator hooked up and the trans is not shifting correctly.

Good investment would be a GM Chassis Service Manual for your car. Not Chiltons or Haynes, GM, the same ones they used in the dealership when your car was new. Check Ebay.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

Those Buicks had a really bad oil pump design. Not so much the design, but what they made it out of. Aluminum timing cover. Good luck
ssmonty

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.