Buick brakes on Ford spindles??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 12:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Buick brakes on Ford spindles???

OK, so I've got the front brakes off of a 1960 Buick Lesabre and I want them on the front of my traditional Model T. Everyone does it by putting the drums over ford brakes, but I want to know if you can put the Buick hub on the ford spindle? I'm using the good old 37-40 ford spindles with the round mounting flange. I believe the shaft on the ford spindle is smaller than the Buick's, but can't I go get a bearing with a smaller inner race to account for this? I know, I'm probably just being a pain in the you know where, but I already have nice wheels in the Buick 5X5" bolt pattern and would like to run them. Any thoughts, advice, or other info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007, 01:21 AM

Easier to redrill the Ford hubs to the Buick 5 on 5 pattern and use your wheels than to "see" if you can make the Buick backing plates and hubs work.
But, if you want the challenge, and have the money and time to play around....knock yourself out! Maybe you'll come up with an all new swap somebody else might need!
Old 02-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

Yes... you can do it but you need to make bearing adapters that slide into the hub to have the ford bearings work. A while back, a guy on the HAMB made those adapters and sold them... so i dont know if he still makes 'em or what.

And DONT THROW OUT THE BACKING PLATES!!!! You can use those. '58-'60 backing plates can be adapted with a spacer between the backing plate and spindle. And you have to modify the spindle a little, grind a flat spot on the top to clear the backing plate.

Im doing the same thing on my T sedan and so far its working out but im using a ford spindle.

John
Old 02-03-2007, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

Oh... found the 'good' tech article showing the whole process.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ake+conversion

John

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.