Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Build 1946 Chevy truck with 454 or 1949 F1 with 460? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/build-1946-chevy-truck-454-1949-f1-460-a-212475.html)

jamieson 01-14-2012 10:14 AM

Build 1946 Chevy truck with 454 or 1949 F1 with 460?
 
I realize that this is a personal choice thing, but I have gone back and forth between the two about 6 times. Is there any objective, logical, reason to chose one of these builds over the other? Both will be automatic -- is there a durable automatic with OD that bolts right up to either a 454 or 460? Is there a cheap donor vehicle with a frame and suspension that is perfect for either of these trucks?

I think I am at the point where either decision would be fine, but I figured I would ask the experts.

1) 1941-1946 Chevy pickup: 454 auto
2)1948 -1949 Ford F1: 460 auto

Any related advice (which donor vehicle to use, etc.) would be massively appreciated.

Help me break the tie! Thanks!!

S10 Racer 01-14-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamieson
I realize that this is a personal choice thing, but I have gone back and forth between the two about 6 times. Is there any objective, logical, reason to chose one of these builds over the other? Both will be automatic -- is there a durable automatic with OD that bolts right up to either a 454 or 460? Is there a cheap donor vehicle with a frame and suspension that is perfect for either of these trucks?

I think I am at the point where either decision would be fine, but I figured I would ask the experts.

1) 1941-1946 Chevy pickup: 454 auto
2)1948 -1949 Ford F1: 460 auto

Any related advice (which donor vehicle to use, etc.) would be massively appreciated.
Help me break the tie! Thanks!!

I'm a chevy guy so that's how I vote. The cost of building a Ford motor equivelant to a Chevy can get upwards of double the $$$. The old saying between the two is a "Ford cost twice as much to go half as fast". I know them Ford guys will start dinging me now. :boxing:

matts37chev 01-14-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10 Racer
I'm a chevy guy so that's how I vote. The cost of building a Ford motor equivelant to a Chevy can get upwards of double the $$$. The old saying between the two is a "Ford cost twice as much to go half as fast". I know them Ford guys will start dinging me now. :boxing:

^^^^^^^^^me agree, on the running gear :D

but, lets have some example pics of the two trucks
454 in a ford?

jamieson 01-14-2012 11:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I am a mopar guy, so picking between Chevy and Ford is tough for me (I dont want another 440 monster).

Here are a couple example pics.

matts37chev 01-14-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamieson
I am a mopar guy, so picking between Chevy and Ford is tough for me (I dont want another 440 monster).

Here are a couple example pics.

OK, the chevy is way cooler looking

all I see when I look at the ford is "sanford and son"

jamieson 01-14-2012 12:00 PM

Dammit I was 51% in favor of the Ford before you said that. Haha. :P

matts37chev 01-14-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamieson
Dammit I was 51% in favor of the Ford before you said that. Haha. :P

of course the chevy reminds me of the movie karate kid, ( i think there was one ) but it still looks better :mwink:

Deuce 01-14-2012 01:12 PM

The Ford has more room in the cab. Something to consider if you are over 5 foot 8 inches or so. I would build the Ford and put a SBC in it.

A 57 to 72 F-100 Ford rear end ( 9 inch series ) is almost a direct bolt in on the Ford F1. While there is plenty of room for a big block ( either Ford or Chevrolet ) ... a small block is generally a better choice because of the weight. A big block makes those trucks nose heavy and affects the handing and steering.

jamieson 01-14-2012 01:21 PM

I am 6'9" tall... so the height is a huge issue. I was planning to cut the end of the cab off and move it back about a foot on either car. I didn't know the Ford had more room in it. I still cannot fit 6'9" in there, can I?

Thanks! Very helpful.

matts37chev 01-14-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamieson
I am 6'9" tall... so the height is a huge issue. I was planning to cut the end of the cab off and move it back about a foot on either car. I didn't know the Ford had more room in it. I still cannot fit 6'9" in there, can I?

Thanks! Very helpful.

if you are going to change the cab, I would look at the back of the cab on each truck
go with the easiest to extend :thumbup:

(but I still think the chevy looks better :pimp: )

C-cab dreamer 01-14-2012 04:31 PM

The reason that Ford paints their engines blue is so that they don't frighten the fish when you use them as boat moorings. :D

Chevy all the way. Particularly since you were going to add a little room inside to fit that monster frame of yours inside. 6' 9", whew, that's some big dude!

C-cab dreamer 01-14-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce
The Ford has more room in the cab. Something to consider if you are over 5 foot 8 inches or so. I would build the Ford and put a SBC in it.

A 57 to 72 F-100 Ford rear end ( 9 inch series ) is almost a direct bolt in on the Ford F1. While there is plenty of room for a big block ( either Ford or Chevrolet ) ... a small block is generally a better choice because of the weight. A big block makes those trucks nose heavy and affects the handing and steering.

I tried checking the engine weight of the original engine in the Chevy...I think it would have had a 216, and that's a heavy engine. Somewhere up around 630#.
Now I do understand that the 454 is around 45# more, but that should be easily remedied with an aluminum intake, possibly aluminum heads and light weight headers.
A little bit of careful choosing will keep the weight very similar to the original, and quite likely less.

jamieson 01-14-2012 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought a '48 Ford about 30minutes ago (pic of it attached). I even paid the $100 quit-nagging-me-about-my-old-truck fee to the fiance so all is well!

I fell in love with the truck the second I saw it in person.
...and Deuce was absolutely right, there is way more room inside the Ford, I am pretty sure I can fit in there comfortably if I just get a skinnier bench seat. I almost fit as it is and it has a huge puffy bench in it.

Thanks so much for everyone's advice (even you damn dirty Chevy lovers! (practicing my Ford-guy routine)).

I am off to the search feature to figure out what to do about the suspension in this thing.

matts37chev 01-14-2012 07:08 PM

ok, ok, your new truck is different than the sanfords' :thumbup:
congrats, on your new project :D

jamieson 01-14-2012 07:26 PM

LOL not much different... but different! I feel better now hahaha. :D


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.