build a 383 stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2003, 07:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

build a 383 stroker

what kind of cam should i get for my stroker motor if i am runing a edelbrock preformer manifold, 750 carb, claimer pistons, power pack heads, what kind of cam specs do i need to be looking for if i want raw power from idle to 5,500 rpms?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2003, 08:04 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

a edelbrock performer plus cam, such as many others offer specs of this sort from off idle to 5500. As for the heads, if you mean the 283 power pack heads, don`t waste your time, they have 137cc intake runners and 1.71 valves, it would blow the tires off the rims from off idle to about 3000 RPM, then it would run out of breath, 383 is more cubic inches and needs the breathing potential that a higher flowing head would offer, at least 165 to 170cc runner size.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:02 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Here is a site with over 100 combo's on building a 383.
http://www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos1.html
Old 11-19-2003, 08:38 PM

383 Stroker

Having just built one of these I have some thoughts. AFR recommends 195cc intake runners with 2.02 & 1.60. These heads flow 263 cfm at 550 valve lift with this being the max. Comp cams recommended for their solid lift flat the 294S. It's pull is from 2500 to 6300. We then added 1.6 rockers which put us at 550 lift on the valves just what the heads needed. The Air Gap intake and the Mighty Demon 750 dyno'ed 537 HP. I have it in a 69 Camaro with a 4 speed and 4.10 gears with 27" tall ET's. The fastest time yet for the car is 11.43 @ 116 going through the traps at 5,200 on the tach. I believe the car will go 11.20 with a set of 4.56 gears so I could get in 4th gear quicker. As it is now it can be driven every day with no problem.
I will also tell you a small block makes Horse power with good heads. With small intake runners you will have so much torque up to say 4,ooo RPM and then nothing after that. The 383 is a great motor but it has to have good heads to really come alive. Spend the money on the heads.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:07 AM

I bet adfishe's Camero really rips, but his specs are a little more than the rpm range you are inquiring about. AFR's new designed 180cc runner head only flows 5 cfm less at .550 lift than the 195 spec quoted. Although look more at the mid lift flows for a better average. Your valve is only max open for a short time. The smaller runner heads will give you good velocity at lower rpm's for better power. Look for 6 to 8 weeks to get a pair though. The 180cc Pro Topline is another top contender, that is readily available and a little less money. For your cam, i would look towards the 220 degree duration mark, plus or minus (at .050 lift rating). 260 to 280 advertised duration. For lift i would shoot for between .45 and .55. Use some 1.6 rockers to get there. A roller cam will also get you better power, vs the same spec cam in flat lifter style. Do not chince on poor heads, they are the most important piece to choose.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.